Cleaning stainless steel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Camp Chef with a stainless steel door. Maybe 20 cooks on it, this is the inside. On left is Fantastik cleaner, on right is LA's Totally Awesome cleaner. No idea what's in this stuff, but it was under $4.

Attachments

• PXL_20221204_234702235.jpg
    PXL_20221204_234702235.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 77
LA Totally Awesome is, pardon the pun, awesome. I keep a sprayer, and a half gallon around all the time. I love that stuff.

Dave

Gonna check it out. Online says our local Dollar Store has 20oz spray bottles for $1.
Those spray bottles are full strength solution. I mix 10 parts water to 1 part LA for general cleaning. Full strength will wipe the stripes off a zebra. The bottle has recommended ratios on the side. For the price, you can't beat it.

Dave

I really don't want any chemicals in my cook chamber. ymmv

Reactions: Cabo
I kind of like the discoloration on the outside of my RT. And the more buildup I get in the CC, the better the flavor. Only had it a few months & it’s starting to smell real good. The more I cook with it, the better the flavor gets!
Al

I just learned about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser from a chef on YouTube for cleaning stainless steel cookware, stoves, etc. $2.48 / 21 oz at Home Depot. I had All Clad stainless steel pans I'd put in the garage because they were disgusting looking. A couple minutes each with BKF and they look like new! After pic below. The one in the middle and it's lid in the back are not All Clad, but they were heavily discolored. The 8" pan was almost GoodWilled more than once because I thought I'd ruined it. Nope.
20240502_145429.jpg

I don't worry so much about the stuff inside the door, unless I've had a unusual situation, like a "fire" etc that might leave some nasty creosote stuff in there. I can say without a doubt, I never use "simple green" for cleaning, as that stuff just makes more of a mess than anything else. On occasion I have deep cleaned the MES and the BBQ with the easy off stuff. That cuts through just about anything, and I can rewash with soap when done, let things dry out completely and reseason. Again, only needed for when things have gotten particularly nasty.

I'm interested to see how well something like dawn powerwash works. I see the commercials, but I don't believe they can do as well as they say on grills. It works pretty well on pans and stuff though.

We've been using either Brillo or SOS pads on our Revere ware pans since 85. and they still look great.

Chris

For inside my MB smoker, a scraper and a razor blade for the window is mostly what I use. And I only do the window so heavy gunk doesn't build up. I know now that the window AND the light are completely useless for me. Both smoke right-over quickly.

Awesome is always in my garage, a great de-greaser and general cleaner overall. Bartender's Friend is good stuff too, but a different application. A mild abrasive like Comet or Ajax in a way. I use BF when my stainless knives, the ones that go in the dishwasher, start getting spots. My chef and boning knife never see a dishwasher.

Stainless doesn't have to be pretty to cook stuff well. I'm a retired custom metal man, I've polished stainless for a living for decades and I dont obsess about my cookware OR my kitchen sink.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky