• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cleaning my electric!

roberdc

Joined Jan 13, 2014
Well, here I reveal what a true novice I am!  Any input on how thoroughly you clean up the insides, the removable pans, etc.?  I feel like I want to sanitize everything, and then I think, "This is smoking meat!  How clean should this really be?"  Just wondering.  My biggest concerns are old drippings rotting and whether to wipe the sides with degreasers.

Thanks,

Bob Clark

old sarge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 26, 2012
I clean my grates and the drip pan after every smoke.The interior has a nice patina, and it is textured. I really don't worry.  I have never used a water pan or container to add moisture to a smoke so I have no idea if it promotes "rain", but I doubt that it does.

I  foil the cover to the smoke box and the floor of the smoker to make cleaning the drippings and fat renderings easier to remove (and I pull the foil the day after a smoke). I use a dry paper towel or old tee shirt to give the ceiling a quick swipe before pulling the foil. Any fats or grease that got under the foil I remove with a plastic putty knife, and the residual I get with a couple of paper towels. Then I foil so that the smoker is ready for the next feast.

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Clean the grates, after heavy buildup, maybe scrap the sides and bottom some. That is it.

centex99

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 21, 2012
You're suppose to clean em?!?!?!

In all honesty, I'll clean the grates once in a while... but that's about it.

sb59

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 27, 2013
I just hit my smoker grates with a wire brush same as my BBQ grill. But my food goes on separate grates that I place on the smokers grates. Makes loading and unloading easier. I then dry wipe the cabinet to remove any moisture or heavy crud. A little light crud adds character and flavor!

Last edited:

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
I heat it up.  I scrape the grills with a heavy duty wire brush.

I heat it up again.  I scrape the grills.

I heat it up again, and the meat goes on.

Everything is sterile.

The brown and black stuff is called seasoning?

Good luck and good smoking.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.