Classic Pulled Pork Samich!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Started off the weekend by smoking up 2 - pork butts for the coming week....

Costco special 2 pack boneless...
8F9DF4C5-D460-4D1A-8D53-09B1684883E3.jpeg

Seasoned them up with some yellow mustard and a new home made rub I’ve been working on....will have to dig out my notes in the next day or so....
A13C5BD6-F929-4148-9F7F-3D7A0A959FB9.jpeg

On the RT 1250 @ 260 (my new fav moderate hot & fast cook temp) @ 10 am.....YES we are going to have PP for dinner!
FBCE8C6A-0E63-47F1-AA08-A057A9620302.jpeg

About 5 hours (3pm) in both are 163......
So I wrapped the right one and decided to let the left roll on since we didn’t need it for dinner....
8A09AFB4-367B-45B5-AC14-B196EFCD1A05.jpeg

Bingo.... 200 @ 6:30 pm....ready to pull!!! Man oh man YUM
97D442A5-B25E-41A7-974A-6CD93A2E4F18.jpeg

I have also been experimenting with a looser foil wrap with a loose side vent to let a a little bit of breathing to go on.....as you can see it keeps the bark in-tacked and leaves a little bit is rendered fat in the bottom and it doesn’t braise I liquid.....

The pull, I no longer add a finishing sauce anymore either..... first thing i do is I take Gordon Ramsay’s pointer on how all sliced meat needs a splash of salt....so I now skip the salt before hand and add a splash as I pull it (uses way less salt and has way more flavor)..... I also add about 3 Tbsps of the rendered fat back in, I’m sure to get the spoons with the rich reduced pork juice (there is only a small amount because of the venting.....this totally changes the texture and flavor in a huge way!
D13B0356-2DA5-4E30-9516-0970B91BA562.jpeg

Now the samich build......
A toasted brioche bun, slice of American cheese, PP, a spoon of Kinders BBQ sauce, some of my wife’s slaw....she said she did something new....dang I need to find her recipe card cause it’s my new fav.... then some sweet chips and some GR balsamic caramelized red onions (my boy makes them up).....BBQ chips and a paper plate....just classic...
23B7CD3C-7C03-4F39-B272-94FF82D47DCA.jpeg

Classic PP Samich money!
90730B60-DFBE-4CBF-A829-42BBD654890B.jpeg

So after dinner about 8ish the second one hit 200 and was all jiggly....
2A2CF0CC-3BA3-410F-8DDD-A97E6B8E4F20.jpeg

Bingo all pulled, salted and rendered treaded (saved from the wrapped one)...
65F7899C-441F-4F57-A316-BAF0C35F3ACD.jpeg

Going to share some with the neighbor and will feed us most the week!

Last edited:
Looking righteous! I am about to follow suit and start prepping a butt for today.

Man those are some fine looking butts Civil, and the sammy is gorgeous.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice work on both . I agree , great looking bark . Good slaw on good PP is awesome .
Nice work .

OH YES! looks fantastic! Gotta love the Costco 2 pack of butts. Make a good amount for eatin and savin

That’s a classic plate! Amazing bark.
Thanks Sven! I hope to repeat the bark on future cooks! If repeatable then the new rub and temp and method will be inked in the cook book!
Looking righteous! I am about to follow suit and start prepping a butt for today.
Thanks hammer! Good luck and hope yours turns out yummy!
Looks fantastic, ya did that piggy proud
Many thanks Jim!
Nothing wrong with a couple plates of that for a great meal

David
No doubt, had another duplicate of it tonight.....just a nice finish to a full day of labor! Thanks David!
Dang! The bark looks beautiful!
Thanks Steve! It was very rendered and like bacon!

Great color on that. Looks mighty tasty.
Many thanks Brian! The RT gives a really nice flavor profile to them.... I also have 3 types of sugar in the rub to aid in the caramelization.....
Man those are some fine looking butts Civil, and the sammy is gorgeous.

Point for sure
Chris
Much appreciation Chris! I’m usually a bone in cooker but I’m liking how these boneless ones come out....
Nice work on both . I agree , great looking bark . Good slaw on good PP is awesome .
Nice work .
Many thanks chop! I’ve been working on this rub, temp, and cook method for a while now and I’m really likening how it’s coming together!
Yup---Not only Classic!!!
It's also "Just Right" !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! Classic is always the real deal. One bite and it’s a flood of savory happy thoughts and memories! That is BBQ!
OH YES! looks fantastic! Gotta love the Costco 2 pack of butts. Make a good amount for eatin and savin
Thanks sandy!!! And oh yes a two pack makes twice the yumminess! Are you still batching it?
Some fine looking work there, love slaw on a PP sanny! RAY
Thanks RAY! Yes slaw adds a nice bright overtone to it the acid is needed to balance the sweet pork!

Looks outstanding and makes me know I need to fire the smoker up. If you manage to wrestle that slaw recipe away from her post it up always looking for good ones

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks outstanding and makes me know I need to fire the smoker up. If you manage to wrestle that slaw recipe away from her post it up always looking for good ones
Here ya go! My wife keeps them separated till right before serving then she mixes up us what we are eating.
471ADA34-DB0A-45EE-AF77-C7D092B41E43.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha I am till tomorrow. It’s been nice and quiet. Lots of ribeyes. I had many little fix it / projects to get caught up on. Ready to have my wife back now.
Well that’s good on both accounts!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky