Cider Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
I was finally able to get my hands on some turkey legs. I picked them up yesterday, and started marinating them in apple cider.
They are going in the smoker with apple chips tomorrow.
My plan id to have in the smoke for around two hours, then in the oven or Gasser to crisp up the skin.
For the additional seasoning I'm planing on only using Herbs commonly used in the 1500's.
So time to start some research for what was used then that i have or can get. I prefer fresh.

As promised her it is.
lets start with a nice picture of the turkey in it's apple cider bath. I flipped them every 12 hours. since Sunday night
DSCF3416.JPG
For the spice mix i settled on Mustered seed that i toasted, I apologize, because I don't have a picture of that, cinnamon and garlic powder. blasted it all in the spice grinder for a few seconds.
DSCF3417.JPG
the rub went under the skin, legs and thighs went into the smoker with apple chips at about 220 for 2.5 hours until it reached 165.
DSCF3418.JPG
Of coarse the skin was rubbery like always when smoked at that temperature. So to crisp the skin up added some EVOO and pink Himalayan salt. placed on cool grill with skin down for a few minutes.
DSCF3421.JPG
The flavor came out well hand a mild tangy flavor, and the mix worked well.
could use something else maybe pepper.

Reactions: jcam222
The color on them is beautiful. Sounds delish! I’m curious , the desire to use only herbs from the 1500’s, what made you want to do that?

The color on them is beautiful. Sounds delish! I’m curious , the desire to use only herbs from the 1500’s, what made you want to do that?[/QUOTE

i"v been thinking about it since i saw a recipe for something renaissance turkey leg. the ingredients were barbecue chicken seasoning and barbecue sauce.
I wanted to see what spices were used back then.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky