CI Piggy Pasta on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Decided it was time to break in the cute little CI pan with some pulled pork that I found at Freezermart. Had all the participants liked up for a photo-op.
DSCN1914.JPG

I sprayed the CI pan some non-stick stuff then started layering. First a little sauce
DSCN1915.JPG

Then half of the one cup of elbow macaroni I'd boiled and set aside
DSCN1916.JPG

Then a little pulled pork
DSCN1917.JPG

A nice layer of shredded mozzarella cheese
DSCN1918.JPG

Then it was back to the sauce and a repeat of the procedure. For the end topping instead of mozz I had this block of cheese in the fridge someone gave up last Xmas
DSCN1920.JPG

I thought it was going to be like parmesan. When I cut the wrapper I could smell the wine in it, and the cheese had a very creamy texture. I got out the grater and worked enough off of it for a nice final coating.
DSCN1921.JPG

I had a chimney of coals fired up and dumped them into the Vortex on the Weber kettle, pushed the Vortex back to one end, and closed the vents top and bottom halfway. I waited five minutes then put on the CI pan. 20 minutes later I gave the CI pan a 180º turn for even heat distribution, it was looking good.
DSCN1922.JPG

Another 25 minutes and it was time to pull. It looked wonderful and the scent of that top cheese was something else, loved it!
DSCN1923.JPG

Plated it up with a little creamed spinach, a nice glass of cabernet, sprinkled on a little parm.
DSCN1924.JPG

This effort turned out absolutely delicious! I ate half of what I'd made for dinner, had the other half for breakfast this morning, stuffed! The CI pan on the Weber worked out perfectly and I can see this as a great way to utilize leftover pork, beef, and chicken with either a Italian or Mexican flavor. Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe! RAY

Looks mighty tasty ray. I smoked some of that cheese this winter. Pretty good stuff

Thanks Jake! I was really surprised by the flavor of that cheese, it was kind of the highlight of the entire cook. I got a big chunk left and vac-sealed for future cooks. RAY

Great looking meal for your maiden CI cook Ray! I bet that tasted as good if not better for breakfast! Looking forward to more

Ryan

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks like your maiden voyage turned out really well Ray! Looks fantastic! LIKE!

Thanks John! I'm liking this for leftovers more than anything else, and especially pork. RAY

Now you are gonna make me post mine..... :emoji_laughing: John

If you don't post it, it never happened! Tho I did make a Philly cheesesteak on the flat top the other day that I didn't post, certainly seemed to taste like it happened. Thanks for the Like John, I appreciate it. RAY

• Haha
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Great looking meal for your maiden CI cook Ray! I bet that tasted as good if not better for breakfast! Looking forward to more Ryan

Thanks Ryan, you're right, the leftovers micro'd right up and made a darned nice brekky. Thank you for the Like Ryan, I do appreciate it. RAY

That looks fantastic . The best skillet cook I've seen on here . I'll be doing this one . Nice work .

Thank Rich! I'm not quite the creative thinker as some when it comes to assembling these things, but it worked out pretty nice. That cheese I used for the final topping provided a flavor profile I didn't expect, and really liked. Thank you for the Like Rich, much appreciated. RAY

That has my stomach grumbling. Nice job Ray! I would be all over that. Glad to see the CI pan out finally!

Thanks John, one more cook and the CI pan will take a commanding lead over the 360 air fryer! Thanks you for the Like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Yep, I'm in on this one. Thanks Ray, looks fantastic

Thanks Winterrider Winterrider ! This has taken away any doubts about what kind of flavor the charcoal would impart, now I don't have any qualms about putting my stone in the Weber and doing a pizza. Thank you for the like, I do appreciate it. RAY

And yet another idea for my CI and grill addiction. Looks great!

Thanks JL, that's pretty much what I try to do, watch cooks then try to put something together. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
That looks absolutely awesome !! To think I've only been using my Vortex for wings . Time to get a small CI pan !!

Thanks Mike! I figured it would work better than just pushing loose coals up against the back, and I think up more uses for it all the time. I did a thick ribeye steak right over the Vortex awhile back for maybe 60-70 seconds a side, I thought it was way better than sous vide. The little CI pans are well worth having, a couple don't break the bank. Thanks for the Like Moke, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Nice Ray! You are getting top results with that CI pan. Big like!

Thanks you Steve! You, Robert, and Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ John have been the key inspiration to my thought process as to what to come up with. I really like the CI post John just made with the turkey, broccoli, alfredo sauce that's right on top of this one, I'm thinking that's something my wife would actually enjoy. Thank you for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky