CI Grilled Ruben Calzone...Sort Of (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Recently there has been a big spike in people wanting to do grilled CI meals. I posted one a couple days ago that seemed to raise a bit more interest and at the request of several people I posted another one yesterday. Both of those were done last week but folks have been asking...over and over...that I keep doing these and posting them. I don't know how I got voted to be the grilled CI crash test dummy, but it's flattering, at least to a point :emoji_wink: Maybe it's just because i have a lot of time on my hands to get stupid with food. This one goes out to sawhorseray sawhorseray Sowsage Sowsage Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ and a few others. This was done last night and has been planned for several days. It goes back to a couple of other posts I read not too long ago and is somewhat if a fusion of them. Had some leftover corned beef from St. Patty's day I wanted to use up.....so here goes.

Tracy went shopping (sort of) last weekend. I put croissants on the list but there were none to be had so she grabbed a roll of biscuits. Hmmm...needed to re-shape them to fit my needs. This was NOT an easy thing to do. Work the biscuits as best I could and put them into an 8" CI skillet that was sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Not pretty but it worked in the end.
001.jpg

Leftover corned beef cut up
003.jpg

Corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing in the bowl
004.jpg

Mix it all up
005.jpg

Load it into the skillets
006.jpg

Flip the corners over and brush with egg wash
008.jpg

Onto the grill. I covered these with the pizza dome
009.jpg

About done. Just a couple more minutes
010.jpg

Time to eat!!
011.jpg

To say these were really good would be an understatement. They were fantastic!! I've made and eaten eaten a lot of Rubens but these were the best thus far. I did a laced Stromboli not long ago that was really good also but I got a lot more of the grilled flavor with this one for some reason. After doing these, I don't think I'll be buying rye bread and sliced Swiss cheese any more. A word to the wise though, if you're doing anything with a bread based crust in CI, I highly recommend pulling the meal out of the skillet immediately upon removing it from the heat. The CI will stay hot for a long time and torch the bottom of your food from the residual heat if not removed pretty quick. Well, this one is a wrap. Probably gonna take a break from grilled CI this evening but I think I might do some prime rib tips in a yummy beef gravy with mushrooms and onions tomorrow. Been thinking about that today and it just sounds like a ton of fun.

See y'all on the next one
Robert

Looks awesome Robert ! Rubens are great and using the leftovers for one like you did was a perfect idea. Looks like that dough was a PIA to deal with but man the look of them at the end is fantastic! Also as good as those look I think I wouldn't worry about buying the rye bread either! And if you wanted a little of that flavor you could just throw some caraway seeds on after the egg wash. Thanks for posting another great CI thread! Great job for sure!

Looks really good Robert! I'm gonna have to try this method next time instead of using the crescent rolls to make a stromboli.

Like!

Boy howdy Robert, I "Like" the idea of that one, looks yummy and not too complicated at all. I've got a couple of CB's in the freezer and will be giving this recipe a shot very soon! RAY

I would not be disappointed getting one of those for supper...JJ

Great thread Robert!
I’ve never seen a calzone quite like that but DANG it sure looks good!
Nice work & congrats on getting another spin on the carousel!!
Al

Yup---I could Eat That !!
I think Me & Mrs Bear could each get 2 meals out of that Bad Boy!!!
Nice Job again Robert!!

Bear

Damn Robert another one knocked out of the park. Looks outstanding! Liking the grilled cast iron meals. Congrats on the ride. Big points my friend!

Yes sir I could do away with that for you no questions asked. Isn't it amazing how we return to the things like CI that our grandparents used.

Warren

Very nice post. They look delicious! I really enjoy your posts. Keep em coming!

Johnny Ray

Thanks so much johnny. This may be the last CI post for a while though. Folks are probably getting burnt out on them.

Nice job Robert!

Looks very nice, good presentation.

Here is a quarter for the ride...hopefully.

John

Very much appreciate it my friend. Looks like your quarter was well spent this time so I guess I we ya one

Robert

Thanks for posting another great CI thread! Great job for sure!

You are more than welcome sir!! Quite a few folks people asked me to post several so I did. People are probably getting tired of seeing them though :emoji_astonished: I may be making one this evening that would just have to get posted. Considering CI grilled bourbon braised prime rib tips in a nice gravy with some mashed taters and a salad.

Robert

Looks really good Robert! I'm gonna have to try this method next time instead of using the crescent rolls to make a stromboli.

Like!
Thank you Joe. Truth be told, the crescents are just as good and a whole lot easier to use. I've done similar dishes using them and I'd take them over the biscuits any day. But as they say....any port in a storm. The biscuits were all Tracy could find.

Robert

Those look great. I make calazones/stromboli all the time. Why didn't I think of that? :emoji_anguished:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky