• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

chunking wood up to smoke food?

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 31, 2010
ok i have some cherry and maple wood that i would like to chunk up to smoke with is it a no no to use my chainsaw because of the bar oil?

bbally

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 24, 2007
I cut with a chain saw all the time.  If it is set up properly it will not oil the wood.  The oil catches in the chip and flings off.  Though it is a possibility, but the cords I go through I am not using a bow saw.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
I also use a chainsaw to cut my wood.if i have some smaller branches i will use my chopsaw,its way faster.but i have never found any oil on my chunks so far.

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 31, 2010
does the peanut oil work good for you? is there any gum up from it?

biggeorge50

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 24, 2009
Peanut oil has worked good for me so far.  I run a couple of "tanks" of it through to flush out the petroleum oil before I cut smoking wood.  I haven't tried it in colder weather, but I don't have any gumming up problems with it in warm weather.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.