Chukar and Pheasant Jerky (Que-View)

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by smokin - k, Jun 19, 2011.

1. smokin - k

smokin - k Meat Mopper

So this is a Que View of my first attempt at any kind of jerky other then ground beef. Also a first for me adding smoke to the process. Looking at Alelover's post about his jerky got me wanting to try a full smoke no dehydrator process but after getting some great advice by some solid members I decided to stick with the dehydrator and my jerky gun. This was a process but thats what I love.. The process! I hope you enjoy the pics! More photo's of the finished proccess to follow. 30 minutes to go in the dehydrator! Happy Smoking, Smokin - K

P.S. Treo Ranch is a stocked hunt with farm raised birds. The dogs on this hunt have to spook the birds as they wont fly with out a little prodding. Grain fed dumb birds.. Should make great jerky..  

This is a close up of the packaging with the pheasant and chukar meat.. Duh

[​IMG]

The entire kill....

[​IMG]

Next time I wouldnt waste my time de-boning these little chukar legs.. Soooo many tendens to strip out.. I found 3 pieces of shotgun bird shot in the meat. I cut out anything that looked like it had been shot.

[​IMG]

I added some bacon to the mix as this meat is soooo lean and didnt want it too dry.. Plus everything with bacon is always better!

[​IMG]

Pheasant Breast and Thighs..

[​IMG]

Say Chukar!!!!

[​IMG]

This is the Pheasant Jerky being seasoned... I used 3 Nesco "Ground Pepper" season packets and ony 2 cure packets for around 3 1/2 pounds of pheasant meat. I also added a tsp of onion powder and garlic powder as well as a tsp or so of my own chipotle pepper spice... I typically cut the amount of cure as I don't think you need that much salt.. I like to taste the meat flavor. I did drink a couple Vodka Squirt and Lime drinks during this process..

[​IMG]

Mix well....

[​IMG]

Using my Nesco Jerky Gun ( I call it a Meat Pistol) I pumped out 8 trays worth of jerky!

[​IMG]

Transfered the dehydrator screens to my smoker trays..Here comes the smoke (low heat 110 degrees 2 hours)

[​IMG]

Can't wait! 

[​IMG]

Final pics to follow once done dehydrating...! 2 hours of smoke with apple wood pellets (cold smoke) with the pilot lite only and my Amaze N Pellet Smoker and roughly 3 hours at 155 degrees in my dehydrator.. Thanks for the tips Bearcarver, alelover and adiochiro3! This forum is awesome! 

[​IMG]

2. smokin - k

smokin - k Meat Mopper

All done and well worth it...! Can't wait to get my hands and my gun on some more game birds.. I would do it this way again for sure.. Vacume Sealing in the morning.

Happy Smoking, Smokin - K

P.S. If you ever over dry your jerky just add some sliced apples to your bag or packaging overnight and bamie! All better... I fell asleep one night doing jerky and it went all night. My dad shared that tip! Happy Fathers Day!

[​IMG]

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great!  [​IMG]

4. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

i love it

WTG