Chuckie (Step by Step) with Qview

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bearcarver, Oct 1, 2010.

1. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

As far as putting smoke on them, I would say just like a Pork Butt.

Thank You Scubadoo,

I try to make them like I would like to find them---Easy on my brain!  [​IMG]

Bear

2. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

ok great

3. mr mac

mr mac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Just an update Bear, I did smoke a 4+ pound chuck roast day before yesterday (I still have not uploaded pics from the camera) and took my time and essentially followed your plan of attack in the OP.  Thank you!  In the past my chuck roast was tough and could have been used to hone a razor; okay, maybe not that bad, but still...  No, this one turned out tender and juicy!  Again, many thanks and make that one a wiki article for us!

Mac

4. porked

porked Smoking Fanatic

Just getting around to seeing this thread, outstanding! Thanks.

5. bearcarver

So 3 months later I finally see your comment.

Thank You for your kind words---Glad it worked good for you!

Bear

Thanks Porked !

Bear

6. Awesome! Did you fill the entire AMNS or just 1 row on either side? Im doing one tomorrow with the new AMNS. Thanks

7. bearcarver

With this one, I filled the whole thing & lit both ends. Then if I remember correctly (4 months ago), when it burned out after about 4 or 5 hours, I threw a few chips in my MES drawer until it was time to foil.

If you fill an AMNS, and use high heat (225˚ and up), it's a good idea to keep an eye on it. 

It is possible for it to jump through an interior wall, and produce more smoke than you want.

If anyone is worried about that, all you have to do is only fill the outer 1 1/2 rows on each end. Lighting both ends would then get you about 2 to 5 hours of good smoke, depending on which AMNS you're using.

Bear

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Bear,

I don't know how I missed this thread. That chuckie looks excellent. I haven't smoked one yet, but it's on my list.

9. Wow! Great looking Chuckster my friend!! I'm gonna add that to my list!

[​IMG]

10. jakerz66

jakerz66 Smoke Blower

I got three chuckles on the smoker right now they are at 130 and look and smell amazing, the reason I'm posting is because I got the inspiration from this post!
    Thanks Bear!

11. bearcarver

Thanks Al,

I did two pairs since this one, and you replied to both of them (one of those is on the Home Page carousel right now).

This one is in my signature.

You gotta do one Al---or 2 or 4.

Bear

12. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

or 6 or 8? 

13. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Man O Man that Q looks great nice job[​IMG][​IMG]

14. bearcarver

Thank You Very Much!

Bear

15. cycletrash

cycletrash Meat Mopper

Looks good !!

16. bearcarver

Thank You

17. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Extremely yummyful. I gotta make me some of that but using my own flavor profile (who cares if MY missus doesn't like hot stuff?) But why the mesh cap over the exhaust vent? And you sterilize your probes? Uh oh, I just wash mine in hot water and soap after using.

18. bearcarver

Thank You Rick!!!!

That is a stainless steel wire mesh sink strainer (upside down) It keeps bugs from entering through my exhaust vent. Especially during cold or warm smokes, and mostly freakin' stinkbugs!!!

When I smoke a large piece of meat, I wait at least 3 hours to put the probe in. That's more than enough time for the heat to kill any nasties on the outside of the meat. Then even though I wash my probes before using, I still use an alcohol wipe on the part going into the meat before inserting, to makes sure they are sterile.

Bear

19. I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Picked up a 4.3lb chuck. Hopefully all goes well. I'll be throwing it in my MES 30.
    Don't have an AMNS so should it be ok with the chips on the stock burner?

20. bearcarver

If you can get some light to medium smoke (TBS) with your chip burner, without getting any heavy smoke, you could be OK, but I would recommend an AMNPS. Then you can get up to 12 hours of perfect, continuous, consistent smoke, without having to mess with it. It makes smoking meat the pleasure it should be.

Bear