Chuckie (Step by Step) with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
With wood chips you're feeding the chip loader about every 30 minutes or so during the entire smoke. I'm with Bear--the AMNPS is the only way to go. Now that I've learned how to keep it lit for hours on end, it's the only way to produce smoke inside an MES 30 as far as I'm concerned.

That looks real nice, Jeff !!!

Gotta Love Pulled Beef !!

I like to add some Swiss & Horse Radish.

Or a Hot Roast Beef Sammy, smothered in gravy, with Fries & gravy on the Fries.

Bear

Bear, many thanks for explaining in detail exactly how you do things.  To us new people it's almost like watching you do it with all the pictures and explanations.  You are one of the main reasons I wasn't afraid to jump right in and give this a whirl. 
77.gif

Outstanding. With that that bar interspersed among the shredded meat, that looks a lot more delicious and inviting than smoked pulled pork. Wish I could make some sammies out of that.

Bear, many thanks for explaining in detail exactly how you do things.  To us new people it's almost like watching you do it with all the pictures and explanations.  You are one of the main reasons I wasn't afraid to jump right in and give this a whirl. 
77.gif
Thank You Cathy!!

That is my main objective----Making it easy for others to get started. Then they can make changes to suit themselves later.

Also I use my Step by Steps myself----It's a lot easier than starting new every time I make the same meat.

Bear

Outstanding. With that that bar interspersed among the shredded meat, that looks a lot more delicious and inviting than smoked pulled pork. Wish I could make some sammies out of that.
Thanks Rick!!

It does make Awesome Sammies. I love pulled Pork & pulled Beef, but I prefer Beef too.

Bear

Looks GREAT Bear! I don't know how I missed this link.

Happy smoken.

David
Thank You David !!!

I must miss Thousands of Great posts!! Just can't get to them all !!

I often think about making a post, apologizing to all the Awesome posts I never commented on, because I just didn't get to see them.

Bear

Gotta say, Bear, I have been looking for an hour for a recipe with times and temps and YOURS was the only one which included it all. I wrote it all down, even took a picture on my phone! The pics look absolutely awesome! Cannot WAIT to try this out!

Gotta say, Bear, I have been looking for an hour for a recipe with times and temps and YOURS was the only one which included it all. I wrote it all down, even took a picture on my phone! The pics look absolutely awesome! Cannot WAIT to try this out!
Thank You, EMick. I aim to please.

Actually since I made this post we have changed the rub to:

Coat whole thing with Worcestershire (Thick).

Then sprinkle with CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder (and sometimes a little Sea Salt).

This is the same thing I put on my Prime Ribs. I don't like the Beef flavor to be over-powered with rubs.

Let me know how you make out, and any questions, just yell.

Bear

I am trying this as we speak, currently at the three hour mark and my roast is at 145 F. Its slightly smaller at 2.7 lbs and I think its hitting the stall phase soon. I'll give it another hour and then foil it.

Couple questions, first is do you completely close the foil around the roast? No vent hole?

Second is when you turn the temp down to 100, do you leave it in the foil?

This is a pulled beef so I'm assuming the outside will not be a crispy bark?

I am trying this as we speak, currently at the three hour mark and my roast is at 145 F. Its slightly smaller at 2.7 lbs and I think its hitting the stall phase soon. I'll give it another hour and then foil it.

Couple questions, first is do you completely close the foil around the roast? No vent hole? Yes---That will keep the moisture inside, especially if you add a little foiling juice.

Second is when you turn the temp down to 100, do you leave it in the foil? Yes---That is a method I often use instead of putting it in a cooler with towels. That will stop it from cooking, yet keep it hot, just like the cooler & towels method does.

This is a pulled beef so I'm assuming the outside will not be a crispy bark?  My method gives you a nice tasty bark, but not a hard thick bark.
Bear

Bear your step by steps are awesome! I was reading thru them the other morning and the shad roe peeked my interest. I don't know if I'll be getting shad anytime soon but I'm hoping to use my speargun in some mullets this weekend so maybe some roe in my future and yummy smoked mullet.

Bear your step by steps are awesome! I was reading thru them the other morning and the shad roe peeked my interest. I don't know if I'll be getting shad anytime soon but I'm hoping to use my speargun in some mullets this weekend so maybe some roe in my future and yummy smoked mullet.
Thanks Brooksy!!

I never had Mullet Roe, but those who have say it's Great !!

The best ones that I've personally eaten are the ones with small eggs, like Shad, Sucker, Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Perch, Sunfish, etc.

IMHO big eggs like Salmon Eggs are best for fish bait.

Bear

I know this was an older post , however I enjoyed it again, thanks for the reminder and Chuckies are on my list
wife.gif
 ( if I get my allowance)
ROTF.gif

Take care of yourself and . . .

I know this was an older post , however I enjoyed it again, thanks for the reminder and Chuckies are on my list
wife.gif
 ( if I get my allowance)
ROTF.gif

Take care of yourself and . . .
Thanks Stan!!

I always love hearing from you!!

Bear

Couple questions, first is do you completely close the foil around the roast? No vent hole?

Second is when you turn the temp down to 100, do you leave it in the foil?

This is a pulled beef so I'm assuming the outside will not be a crispy bark?
How apt that you were working on a Chuckie. Thanks to Bear, I also tried a chuckie the week before last. Mine finally got up to 160* after a few hours (after which I foiled it) and then stalled there for about 3 hours more. When it got to 7 pm and the IT was only 182* I took it out of the smoker and put it in a 250* oven in the kitchen. At 9 pm it was still at 182* so I called it a night. The next morning I put it back in the smoker--foiled and it again took a few hours to get back up to 160*. After about 10 hours total smoking between the two days I served it for dinner. Some of it was great but about half of it was still undercooked since the fat hadn't totally rendered and the meat wasn't tender enough. The next day I stuck it in my convection oven to see if I could cook it down to a more tender state. I left it un-foiled since my convection oven is a microwave with a convection feature and it wound up so overcooked it now makes a very fine door stop or paperweight. I can also put it on display inside a plexiglass cube since it is so overly-well done it will never go bad or decompose...

I have no idea why this chuckie gave me more problems than any other meat I've smoked. Next time out I'm smoking a boneless pork shoulder.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky