Chuckie Done early

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooter79

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 9, 2020
My chuck roast that I’m smoking like a brisket looks like it’s going to be done 2-3 hours early. It’s currently at 147 and I want to go to 180. Should I drop pit temp to slow it down or just pull when done and wrap in paper and towel and then in cooler till dinner tome?

Reactions: JLeonard
Chuck is gonna still be pretty tough at 180. For slices I probe for tenderness at about 190-198. For pulled I let it go all the way to 208-210. And yes if you get done a couple hours early you can let it sit on counter unwrapped for a few minutes then wrap in foil and put in a cooler for a couple hours. This will allow it to stay hot but not overcook. Either way make sure to rest it before eating

Last edited:
Reactions: sandyut and boykjo
Just hit 152. Hoping for dinner around 530-6. Worried it may not make it.

What's the weight of the chuckie? What time did you start? What your chamber temp? If you haven't figured in the stall and the rest, it may not be ready by dinner.

Chuckies can go from start to 160F in two hours, then depending on chamber temp and wrapping/not wrapping can take 5 or 6 more hours to get to a tender slicing stage 195-200F.

I started it at 11 with a pit temp of 225. The chuck weighed roughly 4.5 lbs with bone. I did wrap when it reached 151 and put back on till it reached 185 and probed like butter. It was the first thing I have smoked other than pork but and it was amazing. Too bad I can't say the same for my potatoes as they were just not cooking like I planned.

Attachments

• A46CABAD-C6D0-49EF-924A-1E0C6182EC64.jpeg
    A46CABAD-C6D0-49EF-924A-1E0C6182EC64.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky