Chuck??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billbo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 19, 2007
Upstate NY
I have some chuck roast on the smoker right now that I intended on pulling. My temperature got away from me while I wasn’t paying attention and in a little under four hours the internal temperature is 200° but not probe soft. Should I just let them go or should I wrap them? Any help would be appreciated and thanK you in advance

I would just let them go if they are already at 200. Maybe 205-207 it should probe tender then you can wrap it up and toss it in the cooler to rest.

Reactions: billbo
Mmmmmm, Beef Sammie's.
Watching.

Chile, I thought your barbacoa recipe was with chucks but I just looked and you did it with butts. I wonder why I did it with chucks. Anyway, the only thing I didn't like is my corn tortillas kinda fell apart b/c of the liquid of the meat. I read the other day if you put cheese first that it will help keep the shell from tearing.

Chile, I thought your barbacoa recipe was with chucks but I just looked and you did it with butts. I wonder why I did it with chucks. Anyway, the only thing I didn't like is my corn tortillas kinda fell apart b/c of the liquid of the meat. I read the other day if you put cheese first that it will help keep the shell from tearing.
I've done 'Barbacoa' with various cuts of lamb, goat, beef and pork.
I've used beef Cheeks (favorite), Chuck's, overcooked Brisket, pork Butt/Shoulder, and goat.

In Mexico, depending on region and availability, many types of meat are used and they use all the cuts and some organs of the animal being used.
Barbacoa is a method, i.e. pit cooked, very slow, very moist and almost as tender as butter on the palate.

We've adapted our bastardized version to include smoking then braising for a smoky succulence.

As to your tortillas falling apart.
Drain the meat.
Are you steaming or toasting them first? Either is good.
If you look at my tacos I always double up, and only use corn if possible.
In Mexico there are literally over a dozen types and thicknesses/sizes of taco tortillas that are meant for different tacos.

Cheese?
Neither soft or crumbling cheeses are a traditional topping or condiment for Barbacoa tacos.
Various salsas are the mainstays, with perhaps a little onion/cilantro.

But hey, I'm guilty.
I like a little queso Anejo crumbled on mine.
Do what you like, if it tastes good, eat it!

Last edited:
I usually fry my tortillas in oil in a pan. You are right, I should drain it b/c when I normally make tacos, I drain the hamburger meat. I think b/c I put so much love in the liquid for finishing the chuck in the oven that I didn't want to get rid of it.

I usually fry my tortillas in oil in a pan. You are right, I should drain it b/c when I normally make tacos, I drain the hamburger meat. I think b/c I put so much love in the liquid for finishing the chuck in the oven that I didn't want to get rid of it.
Make rice or beans with liquid.
Add some serious flavor to your rice or beans.
Hell yeah!

Last edited:
3E5A303E-8A95-4962-B8F1-185FDCBF064B.jpeg
8AA906D7-32EA-45C8-86E0-57BCB3B0A2C1.jpeg
Despite my early temperature problems these came out great!

Reactions: chopsaw
By the way I discovered that my ET-73 Is shot. It was telling me I had a lower temperature than I really had and that was my problem. Time for a new one I have had this one for 15 years

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky