Chuck Steak - Pulled Beef.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well I was getting things ready for work this week and found out I was out of pulled beef so I asked myself - Whats a man supposed to do without any pulled beef for supper(s). I had pulled pork last week so I didn't want do a repeat performance at work. To much of a good thing don't ya know. As luck would have it our local grocer had chuck on sale. I went and picked one of those bad boys up(should have bought a couple - I know stupid, stupid, stupid). I also wanted to see how hard it was to smoke it in the Kettle with a charcoal basket. So let the journey begin:

I was kinda feeling lazy on Sunday. So I didn't even bother cleaning out the ash from Saturdays smoke. I just used the sweepers and let it fall into the dish, and fired her up. Note the three good size piles of ash.

DSC00808.JPG

Now the meat: A little under 4# at 2.99 per. Not bad for our neck of the woods.

DSC00806.JPG

All seasoned up with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
DSC00807.JPG

...and on to the Kettle. With a couple good chunks of hickory.
DSC00809.JPG

After a few hours I had to reload the basket. I also decided to toss on a meatloaf for good measure. I was out of smoked loaf also. Still cruising at 260*
DSC00810.JPG

Decided to foil her up at 170*. I knew I had some beef broth somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Anywho apple juice worked for me.
DSC00811.JPG

Took it out of the foil around 195* and back on the grate she went. Once it hit 203 it was tender. Removed from the grate let her sit on the counter until temps dropped to 170* then wrapped it up for an hour and into the oven(no heat) for a rest. Then I pulled her apart with ease. I have to admit I did nible on a few pieces.

DSC00813.JPG

Today she along with the meatloaf will get vacuumed sealed and placed in the freezer for future dinners. Thanks for taking the time to look. Oh, I probably won't be using a basket for long cooks again, as I had to refill about 4 times for a 7.5 hr. cook. Next time I'll either use the WSM or the snake method in the Kettle.

One other note - here's a shot of my buddy Skidmark waiting patiently

DSC00803.JPG

And this is how he got his name - see the brown tuff of hair and it's location. Man do I have to weedwack.
DSC00802.JPG

Chris

Good times right there! Looks great. I like to bind mine with some butcher's twine before I smoke but I guess that is more of a help when you are using an SV before hand.

Thanks for all the pics!

Great write up Chris! Still wanting to do pulled chuck...!! Yours look great! And Skidmark looks like a handful! I would be glad to do your lawn maintenance for you. However, in return, free bbq!!!!

Love me some Pulled Beef!!!
Nice Chuck Roast! Great Price!
Haven't seen $2.99 for a long time. Usually $4.99 around here!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Good times right there! Looks great. I like to bind mine with some butcher's twine before I smoke but I guess that is more of a help when you are using an SV before hand.

Thanks for all the pics!

Thanks Norm, no binding for me when it's in steak form. Thanks for the compliment.

Great write up Chris! Still wanting to do pulled chuck...!! Yours look great! And Skidmark looks like a handful! I would be glad to do your lawn maintenance for you. However, in return, free bbq!!!!

Thanks yankee, skid's a good ole fart. All we have to do is feed him, let him out and do a little playing on the side. I'd take you up on the offer for yard work in exchange for BBQ. I hate yard work with a passion. I've been weedwhacking and mowing this yard for over 30yrs. I'm sick of it. Take a crack at the chuckie, they're greeeeeeeeat.

Love me some Pulled Beef!!!
Nice Chuck Roast! Great Price!
Haven't seen $2.99 for a long time. Usually $4.99 around here!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

So do I bear, so do I. 2.99 is an odd price for around here also. I noticed it was almost end of life for this one when I bought it. Usually 5.99 in most stores around here. Thanks for the compliment and like. Appreciate them.

Chris

Great looking puled beef.
Chucks are so darn expensive around here it's hard to justify buying one when you can get a butt for half the price.
But yours sure looks delicious!!!
Al

Great looking puled beef.
Chucks are so darn expensive around here it's hard to justify buying one when you can get a butt for half the price.
But yours sure looks delicious!!!
Al

They're usually 5.99/lb. here. It's packed up and sitting in the freezer. I like PP, but I needed something just a little different. Thanks for the point and kind words.

Chris

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Man that looks great. I like the fly by the seat of your pants types of cooks.

I have probably 10 Chuck steaks in the freezer from our beef. Gotta try it

I’ve only done pulled beef once for some tacos. It wasn’t one of my better cooks. I didn’t wrap and it came out kinda dry. Lesson learned, I need to wrap chuckies.

Yours looks like it came out pretty good!
I “like” that!

Nice looking chuckie! Totally jealous of the smoke ring. LOL "decided to throw on a meatloaf"...

A little advice if you want it re the weeds. If you find you are procrastinating, your string trimmer is probably not powerful enough. HUGE difference.

Smoke23 Smoke23 Wrapping isn't really gonna make it more moist per se. Maybe pulled too early? What IT? Gonna try injecting next one and see if that works as well as it does for PP.

Last edited:
Nice cook ya had there Chris, looks delicious.
Like!

Yes'sir great price on the Chuckie, don't see that too often down here.

Thanks John for the like and kind words, the price is probably a day or so before the manager special tag goes on.

Man that looks great. I like the fly by the seat of your pants types of cooks.

I have probably 10 Chuck steaks in the freezer from our beef. Gotta try it

Since the kids moved out and it's only the wife and I we don't do the normal grocery shopping anymore. It's usually a morning trip to the market and see what looks good to us that day or the next. No more planning in advance(unless it's for a party).
Thanks for the compliment and like Adam.

I’ve only done pulled beef once for some tacos. It wasn’t one of my better cooks. I didn’t wrap and it came out kinda dry. Lesson learned, I need to wrap chuckies.

Yours looks like it came out pretty good!
I “like” that!

I've always wrapped them since reading about how to cook them on here. It does work at least for me. Thanks for the like and nice words appreciate them.

Chris

Looks good! At 2.99 a pound I'd have gotten a few of them..rare to see it below 6 bucks round me right now it seems.

Yeah I still kicking myself for not picking up enough to at least fill the WSM. Thanks for compliment and like appreciate it.

Nice looking chuckie! Totally jealous of the smoke ring. LOL "decided to throw on a meatloaf"...

A little advice if you want it re the weeds. If you find you are procrastinating, your string trimmer is probably not powerful enough. HUGE difference.

Thanks for the like and kindly words Sam, Yeah the meatloaf was a last minute thing. When I noticed the lack of smoked meatloaf in the freezer for work dinners. As for the weed wacking. I have been trimming the weeds for the better part of 30 years. So between the back yard which is fenced in(about 3/4 of an acre), the pool, house, and wives gardens. I'm just getting tired of going through the motions. The weed wacker is a Stihl and has plenty of pop.

Chris

Awesome nice write up. Like your supervisor.

Warren

Thanks Warren for the read and compliment. Yeah the supervisor get paid well for his services.

Looks amazing Chris, gotta try of these. Like for sure

Go for it Doug, I can't believe you haven't already. I prefer pulled beef to pulled pork. Thanks for the like and nice words.

Chris

gmc2003 I can't remember when I got my first dog I've always have had a dog. We now have 4 dashounds.

Warren

Warren we've also always had a dog. From as far back as I can remember. I think I'll always have one. We had four at one point, but it got to be to costly and time consuming for us when we traveled.

Chris that looks great I never made or had pulled beef Points
Richie

Thanks Richie for the compliment and like. You really need to try it someday.

@fivetricks and HalfSmoked HalfSmoked thanks for the like appreciate them.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky