Chuck Short Rib Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phrogpilot73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Saw some boneless chuck short ribs at Costco yesterday that were beautifully marbled, so I couldn't resist. Instead of doing them how I normally do them (either smoking until they're falling apart or braise them) - I started browsing the internet and found a guy that did smoked short rib burnt ends.

Using a rub and BBQ sauce I got as Secret Santa gifts, dry brined for a couple of hours and on the smoker at 235. I'm misting with apple juice every 30 minutes, then plan to pull at 185, cube, coat in BBQ sauce - then back on the smoker until 200. Serving with hericot vert and scratch made cornbread.
IMG_4751.png

IMG_4752.png

Last edited:
i got some of those myself, planning on marinating in tomato sauce based marinade overnight to tenderize the meat, then I'll put on the grill tomorrow, not planning to smoke these. too cold for that here.

Total newb here (not to forums in general, but to this forum) - what is a carousel ride? I searched and read through all the stickies and can't quite figure it out...

The pictures at the top of the forum that rotate is what’s known as the carousel. Cooks that stand out usually earn a trip on the carousel. In my opinion your cook looks good enough for a ride on the carousel especially since it was something different.

Reactions: phrogpilot73
The pictures at the top of the forum that rotate is what’s known as the carousel. Cooks that stand out usually earn a trip on the carousel. In my opinion your cook looks good enough for a ride on the carousel especially since it was something different.
Ahhh, that makes sense :)

If something different is what you're looking for - I'm that guy. From Vietnamese beef brisket tacos to Maryland inspired chili (funny story behind that recipe). I like to experiment with food, sometimes it turns out great - sometimes, not so much.

I have to say that is one impressive looking meal!
Great idea with using the short ribs for burnt ends!
I agree on the carousel ride!
Congrats Buddy!!
Al

Loooooking Goooooood!!!!

Point for sure.
Chris

That didn't take long. First thread and second post, and I'm on the carousel. I guess I've got a high standard to uphold from here on out :)

You never know unless you try lol
My thoughts exactly! One time I decided to try all forms of preparing hot dogs. That's how I came up with "The Crack Dog". Bacon wrapped, cooked on a griddle - then put on a buttered, toasted potato roll. Top with mayo, coleslaw, and sriracha sauce. Most people wrinkle their nose at the mayo - but trust me, it works.

Congrats on your first Carousel ride. When I saw you made burnt ends with a different method I knew Smokin AL would choose to give you a ride. Congrats again and great lookin plate and welcome to the site

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky