Chuck Roast took 10 1/2 HOURS! Yikes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpmich

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Central Michigan
Anyone ever have some chuck roasts (about 3+ lb. each) take this long to cook?

I smoked 5 chuck roasts for a benefit fund raiser dinner item.  4 of them were about 3 lb. or more each.  One was smaller at 1 3/4 lb.

At 6 3/4 hours, two of them were done with IT of 200*-205*.  The smaller one, AND one of the bigger ones, got done at same time. 

I took them off and foiled wrapped in towels. 

The other 3 were only at 167*-175* and I left them on smoker, thinking it would only be another 1 to 1 1/2 hours before they were done.

BOY WAS I WRONG!  LOL   Those last three went another   3 3/4 hours!  A total of 10 1/2 hours on the smoker!

The IT on the last three was between 190* and 205*, depending on which muscle you tested.

Here is some info to help your replies:

1. Smoker temp between 225* and 250* throughout the cook.  I did have a couple of temp spikes to 275*, but not for too long.

2. All meat bought from same meat market.  Good quality.

3. I did not foil at the stall!  I cooked them naked the whole time.  I only foiled after bringing them into the house to rest.

4. I did not inject or marinade.  Rub only.

5. Used a char-griller smoking pro with side firebox.  But it is seal up very well.

6 Ambient outside temp was 94* at start, and 70* at end of smoke.

That's about all I can think of that maybe would affect the times.

I do have another question though, for future use.

If cooking for a week or more later use, is it better to pull the beef or pork first, or just freeze the meat whole, reheat, and pull it just before use?

I was thinking if I pulled it before freezing it may get a little dry when reheated.  Am I right or wrong?

Thanks you all for your help!  I appreciate it!

All in all, it was a good day/night anyway!  I enjoyed it. 

Last edited:
Meat is done when it is done. Not uncommon to get a stubborn piece of meat once and a while.

It is easier to pull and then vacuum seal and then freeze. Usually the meat isn't dry. Some people also use finishing sauce or BBQ sauce.

yeahthat.gif

Al

I had a hunch that was gonna be the answer.  I just never had such a drastic difference like that before.

Thanks for the tip on pulling and freezing.  I'll do it that was the next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky