Chuck & Cob - by CivilSmoker Jr.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So I was working in the shop all day yesterday so I told the boy the chuck was his chore for the day.....I told him we want it like brisket with some au jus.....I also told him to take good pics and if dinner passed the mustard I would post it for him.......

So here is the story of CivilSmokers Jr’s first smoked chuck!

He started of by seasoning it with SPG&CRE....this makes for a nice robust flavor!
CDD587FA-D821-4CEF-98BD-52E1DA36FCF1.jpeg

He put it on the pellet at 235..
1A5CE193-A0AB-4355-976A-48CCBA5B19B6.jpeg

A sneak peek a couple hours in....
12D2DC3C-4C14-42C9-AFC1-F13273141B42.jpeg

At IT 160, he put in a foil boat with beef stock, red wine, worsce, soy sauce, sliced onion, and a couple g cloves.
1D3257F3-C0C3-4B3B-A843-0B52D80DA34E.jpeg

He covered it with foil and back on till the IT hit 205.....
219BD078-D125-4999-8F96-49F97C04BD47.jpeg

Then it went into the house oven set at 170 for the next 3 hours to rest (just like we do our brisket)......bam bam ready for the plate!
DD62A63A-58C8-4D73-93F7-68DB932EE9E0.jpeg

the boy boiled up com cobs with old bay & butter to join the smoked chuck & Au Jus....
55A11D26-04D9-4211-9096-43B52390C243.jpeg

One proud dad moment right here!!! Just happy Money!
0D9DE782-459F-4DFF-87C6-6E2E1D7AF6C6.jpeg

I have to say the boy done real good, pics and all! Oh and from now on, I’m going to cut future chucks off at 205 and hold at 170 for 2 hours till pulling. Just like brisket the hold makes for magic! Enjoy cause I know it did as the fortunate participant!

Last edited:
That looks delicious! Congrats to your son! Of course I knew he could cook and he just showed it!

Ryan

Nice work he did . Mines in the kitchen making tator salad as I type .
Pretty soon they won't needs us . Lol .
Great job on that chuck .

That's awesome!! Great job!

Gotta ask.. how old?
He is 18.....so just making sure his cooking skills will keep him alive!

That looks delicious! Congrats to your son! Of course I knew he could cook and he just showed it!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, the Au Jus was just like the PR recipe just minus the fresh herb seep at the end! It was beef heaven, more tender the PR so I’m really torn cause I felt like it was almost better then some PR......and I’m a mid rare guy! Need to have to boy move on to a full brisket now! His training is almost complete.....LOL

Nice work he did . Mines in the kitchen making tator salad as I type .
Pretty soon they won't needs us . Lol .
Great job on that chuck .

Funny how it works out that way chop! Tatie salad man that sounds good.....that would go good with the chuck for dinner tonight!

Heck yea! He did a great job! Teaching him life skills.. he'll remember that his whole life!

Awesome!!
No Fair---You got too much help!!
Civil Jr has it going!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks killer! Man I could use a plate of that right now...Im on my way up...see ya shortly.

Heck yea! He did a great job! Teaching him life skills.. he'll remember that his whole life!
tru dat! Thanks!

Awesome!!
No Fair---You got too much help!!
Civil Jr has it going!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
I know it will be short lived so going to milk it while it last!

Looks killer! Man I could use a plate of that right now...Im on my way up...see ya shortly.
Sweet, I’ll pick some fresh maters to go with it! Thanks!

Reactions: Bearcarver
Leftover time!!

Since the boy did such a great job I had to step up the leftovers......so I thickened the Au Jus a bit and drizzled it over the chuck after heating it up wrapped in foil with a bit of the chilled fat to lay on top....then some oven roasted carrots that were pan seared with S&P prior and joined with some pan seared garden maters!
501CB277-3B6C-4A73-95EC-A4AB68ED4DFD.jpeg

Pure Money!
8C737A42-8BFC-412B-B0E4-713613F58313.jpeg

Simple but elegantly tasty!

I'm not a mater guy , but roasted carrots with any kind of beef sauce / gravy ,,,, sign me up .

I'm not a mater guy , but roasted carrots with any kind of beef sauce / gravy ,,,, sign me up .

hold the maters, pass the beef and roots!!! It’s a perfect match for sure!

Great job on the chuck by CS Jr! I always pan my chucks and put them in the oven after smoking. I’m usually doing it for pulled beef for tacos, but the onion, broth, wine combo has me hungry for some down home cooking.

Excellent job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky