Christmas Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Ok this is way way late, but I was out of the country on business before Christmas then out again after for a month. I am finally getting caught back up and now I am leaving on Monday again so if I don't do this now I never will. And I have no pics... I suck. I will try this again when I get back and will make sure I take pics.

Started out with a 10lb boneless prime rib from my local butcher. Then trimmed it down to what I like and wrapped it up using cotton string so it was uniform. Put it on my MES at 160F for 4 hours with smoke. After smoke the IT was 115F or so. I then vac sealed it and put it in a big cooler I set up for my sous vide to fit into. I left it like that at 137f for just over 48 hours. I pulled it then drained all the juices into a pot for auju and gravy then put it in the over on broil for 5 minutes to crisp up the outside. Let rest for 10 minutes or so then sliced into 1 inch thick cuts.

On my life the best prime rib I have ever had! It cut good and head together but on your plate you could cut it with your fork no need for a knife. It had a great flavor including a nice smokey flavor but no overpowering. Everyone loved it including my crazy mom who doesnt like smoked foods. I have had prime rib with this good of flavor but was tougher and I have had prime rib that was this tender but had little flavor but never both. I may have to try a full tender loin next.

Reactions: YelojktBob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky