Christmas Prime Rib Plenty of QView

Discussion in 'Beef' started by briggy, Dec 25, 2015.

1. briggy

briggy Smoking Fanatic

First attempt at prime rib on the WSM.  Every time I read one of Bear's numerous PR threads I knew it had to be on the list.  I finally found standing rib roasts on sale for $7.99/lb here at Meijer (after checking 4 stores).  This cook takes cue from Bear's step-by-step instructions and adds the Au Jus recipe from Chef Jimmy J.

This one is 4 ribs, roughly 7 pounds.  Perfect for 4 of us with just enough leftovers.  Typical Bear rub here, L&P Bold and SPOG:

Rub applied and into the wrap for an overnight rest in the fridge:

On to the preheated WSM at 2:30PM with plans for dinner at 7:30PM.  Roast on top with veggies for Chef Jimmy J's Au Jus under.  Broth was added to the veggies 1 hour later.  Smoking with Oak Bourbon Barrel Chunks and Royal Oak Hardwood Lump:

This was at 3 hours in.  The WSM held nicely between 220 and 230 for the entire cook:

The PR was pulled at 134 IT, just over 4 hours of cook time.  Now working to finish the Au Jus and Au Gratin Potatoes:

The two pics below are just after a 45 minute rest double wrapped in foil and covered in towels:

Sliced view:

Plated view - PR with the Au Jus and horseradish.  Au Gratin potatoes were made with butter, flour, onion, garlic, cream, milk, salt, cheddar, havarti, and parm:

Last but not least, an attempt at Bear View!

This turned out incredible!  I couldn't help but go back for seconds on the PR.  Thank you to Bear and Chef Jimmy J for the ideas.  Three pieces left to get creative with leftovers.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas with your friends and family.  Thank you for looking.

dirtsailor2003 and c farmer like this.
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fantastic! Greta looking meal, nice smoke!

POINTS!!!!

3. briggy

briggy Smoking Fanatic

Thank you Case and I appreciate the points!

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow. Looks great.

Bear would be proud.

5. briggy

briggy Smoking Fanatic

Thanks Adam!