Chorizo, dry cured

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Looked at some Len Poli recipes for dry cured chorizo.

No mention of starter culture, just fermentation temp and time, no mention of humidity during the fermentation.

The recipes are for Chorizo -Argentine and Chorizo-Pimento.

They sounded interesting. Anyone ever tried fermentation without starter?

I just finished a batch of dry cured Chorizo. I fermented it for 24 hours in my spare bedroom. I used FRM-52, I think that is the name of the fermenting agent, anyhow it's quicker to ferment & works at higher temps than the SPX. I also used mold 600 on the casings. It took about 6 weeks in my curing chamber to loose 35%. That & the salami I made were my 2 favorite things that have come out of the curing chamber.
Al

Just read a recipe in "The Sausage-Making Cookbook" by Jerry Predika.

He has a recipe for Dry Chorizo that doesn't contain cure and is not fermented! Just mixed, and stuffed and dried in refrigerator for 8 - 10 weeks.....
I made "pepperoni" a few times by just refrigerating, but it had cure in it. no issues there, turned out good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky