Chopped Ham Loaf .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I bought some " Sugar cured Country Ham pieces " at the store the other day . When I got around to them I realized they were raw . Not smoked or cooked . They were fully cured though . So when I made the franks the other day I saved a pound of grind and used it to mix with the chunks .

Pre-cured store bought chunks .
20230107_121029.jpg
1 pound of the beef and pork mix from the thread above .
Owens German bologna seasoning and cure one added for the grind only .
I used potato starch and a bit of water until it came together .
20230107_121615.jpg
Used my custom mold to form the loaf .
Plastic wrap so you can get it out easy .
20230107_121619.jpg
Shim so I can press it down evenly and get rid of voids .
20230107_122128.jpg
Pressed and wrapped .
20230107_122133.jpg
Even came with a lid for holding overnight .
Just hope no one butters their bread with it .
20230107_122143.jpg
Next day , out of the mold and ready for some smoke .
20230108_063922.jpg
Used the MES 30 . Auber starting at 120 . Then steps to 140 and 160 .
Beech pellets in the 6 " tube .
Took some nice color .
20230108_145346.jpg
Was hard to do , but I waited until the next day to slice .
First cut .
20230109_064729.jpg
Decided to slice the whole thing .

20230109_065212.jpg
Closer look .
20230109_065216.jpg
Worth another look .
20230109_065223.jpg
I've used powdered gelatin and whole chunks before , but the fine grind and
potato starch or NFDM give a better result in my opinion .
The beech smoke on Hams is my go to . Right before Owens stopped selling them I bought 10 pounds .
Glad I did , because they are hard to find .
This came out great . Nice texture and holds together .
Really like the flavor too . You could use salt and sugar , but the German Bologna really adds to it .
Makes a great sandwich or fried up . This is fun to do , and a nice change from SS .
Easy to adapt if you're already making sausage . Just hold out a pound or so and find something to use as a press .
Thanks for lookin .

Man I bet that would make a great sammich. Fried up with a egg and cheese on toast! Man just the thought of that puts my oatmeal this morning to shame!

Jim

Reactions: chopsaw
Cool idea and it looks delicious Rich! I could use some of that right now for breakfast, maybe in a nice bagel sandwich with egg and cheese!

Looks great Rich! IMO PERFECT use of that ham. Making me want to try making another of that spiced ham thing I did. I am starting to ration my beech.

Man I bet that would make a great sammich. Fried up with a egg and cheese on toast!

Man I bet that would make a great sammich. Fried up with a egg and cheese on toast!
Jim , it's hard to stop eating it right out of the bag . I did fry some up yesterday . Had a nice salty bacon taste to it .
That looks amazing
Adam , it's good . Fun to do too . Thanks for lookin .
that looks so good!! and i love your mold, does a nice job!
Thanks bud . Appreciate that .

Reactions: JLeonard
I have some pork butt scraps in a bag in the freezer. I had intended to make some kind of sausage with them, but I think I just found my next project. Thanks!

This came out great . Nice texture and holds together .
Indeed! The potato starch did seem to work well an with no gelatinous effect. Looks great man.

The beech smoke on Hams is my go to . Right before Owens stopped selling them I bought 10 pounds .
Many moons ago when touring the brewery at Busch Gardens Williamsburg I saw them cleaning the vats and all of beechwood strips on the floor. I thought, hmm, I wonder if that would be good for smoking meat. Say! You live in right by the biggest Busch plant. Hmm...

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks great Rich! IMO PERFECT use of that ham. Making me want to try making another of that spiced ham thing I did. I am starting to ration my beech.
Yup . First thing I thought of when I found out they were raw . You can use cooked , but the raw binds better .
Me too . Those beech pellets are like gold . I did use them on the franks the other day . If you do the spiced roll use some pork grind and dust the chunks with some starch . Not to heavy .
Fine piece of work
Thanks ray .
Love the loaf mold too!
Just seemed to make sense for a small batch .
I have some pork butt scraps in a bag in the freezer. I had intended to make some kind of sausage with them, but I think I just found my next project. Thanks!
Yup . When I cure them myself I go 3 days , and mix it around over that time .
Weigh the cubes and mix the correct amount of cure with the percentage of salt you use and mix it on the chunks .
Post up what you make .

Reactions: zwiller
I am sticking to using raw for now. The cooked ham was a total fail. Was impressed with the taste but that's it. Goal is for it to look like your Krakow but taste like a spicy easter ham. Already have the potato starch and that is getting fired up to try it. If you were to guess on chunk to grind ratio? Fueling Around Fueling Around beat me!

Rich you are on fire lately!! That looks outstanding. As a I’meonexelse said that has to make an outrageously good sandwich. Bonus points for the brilliant kitchen tools.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky