Chips in an pellet maze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matt Bell

Original poster
Nov 25, 2018
Hey everyone!

I got an A-Maze-N Smoker Maze for Christmas and was wondering if anyone has been successful using wood chips instead of pellets.
Thoughts?

You not gonna get a consistent cigar like "Ash" with wood chips. They'll either be on fire or not burning at all.

That being said, I've been known to smash chips down to real small slivers and place them on top of my pellet rows and this works pretty good.

Edit: I should clarify, I fill rows with pellets then place the slivers on top of the pellets.

I've done pieces of chips on top of my pellets. Works but sometimes they don't burn all the way up. I found it easier to just blend pellets with different percentages. But nothing wrong with experimenting.

I've done mixes to use up the chips I had. The pellets kept the chips smoldering.
Anymore, I'm sold on dissolving my pellets, drying out the dust, and using dust exclusively in my amnps.

I've done mixes to use up the chips I had. The pellets kept the chips smoldering.
Anymore, I'm sold on dissolving my pellets, drying out the dust, and using dust exclusively in my amnps.
Walk me through your process.

You use a lot less dust and get a lot longer smoke time with it. Problem is keeping the dust burning. I've gotten over 24 hrs on dust smoking. I don't use water to break it down. I was taught to use a blender and then you can control at what state you break down the pellets. Lots of info out there on it. Just have to search. Nice thing about using dust is a lot less creosote but the flavors are still there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky