Chips in a smoke tube?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BilboBaggins

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
I just got an MES and am new to smoking. I was thinking about getting a smoke tube, like the amnts. Can wood chips also be used in those, or only pellets?

Welcome to SMF from SE Ga !
Lots of MES folks on here ...me included.
Never mixed them but like Jake said others who have will be along. I have added a pan with charcoal to help occasionally

Reactions: MJB05615
I mix chips with pellets but prefer to mix the shag bark off of a hickory tree, i put a couple strips in and pack pellets down beside them, works great and hickory is my preferred flavor

I just got an MES and am new to smoking. I was thinking about getting a smoke tube, like the amnts. Can wood chips also be used in those, or only pellets?
this is a good question i was going to ask. I' looking for a way to polong smoke in my kamado. If they only sold small bags of pellets I would buy one. right now using a "holey" steel box with chips.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Hey! I'm also new at this. I've been trying this wood chips and they are amazing. They have a coffee flavor. I also bought a barrel because I was told that I didn't have to know a lot about bbqs. I'll share with you photo of the woodchips and the results I goot after cooking there :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 1.01.13 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 1.01.13 PM (2).jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 1.01.13 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 1.01.13 PM (1).jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 1.01.13 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 1.01.13 PM.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 46
this is a good question i was going to ask. I' looking for a way to polong smoke in my kamado. If they only sold small bags of pellets I would buy one. right now using a "holey" steel box with chips.
Here ya go. One pound bags of pellets. 100% flavor wood no fillers.

I am now exclusively using a mix of pellets and chips. The more chips you add, the more smoke you get and a shorter burn. Fewer chips, less smoke, longer burn. I have two tubes so I can have one loaded and ready to go as the other is burning down.

I only use pellets in the Tube. I also have 2 so they can be switched out when 1 runs out, on a long cook. For short cooks the tube will go 6 hours or a little longer if completely filled. I also have a Masterbuilt Cold Smoker attached to the Chip tube opening. I put chips and 1" pieces of wood in that as well. This way I can have 2 different flavors at the same time. Use of the Tray or Tube also depends on your elevatioon, I believe. I couldn't keep the tray lit at all, had to keep relighting every 30 minutes. The tube lights right up and stays lit the whole time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky