Chipotle Jerky

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by zipdugan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zipdugan

zipdugan Newbie

I cured for about 18 hours with tenderquick and spices then pat dried with paper towel. I then split into three piles and put more black pepper on 1/3, red pepper flakes on 1/3 and chipotle pepper on the last third. I think the chipotle came out the best but its all good.

I used about 1 ounce of hickory and 1.5 of pecan wood. Smoked for about 4 hours at 180 degrees.

It has a meduim smoke flavor. the chipotle flavored jerky has the best taste in that it has i nice twang to it. Did I just make a new word? The red pepper flake flavored is good too just a little bit better burn that creeps up on you. The black pepper is for the tender foot but its also real good.

I started with about 5 lbs of London Broil that was $2.49 a pound at the local store and I have about 2.5 lbs after all the tasting was over.
    [​IMG]

2. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks real good.. I need to try making some of this stuff..
    My Dad used to make it all the time so I got my supply from him..
    He moved and I no longer get any :(

3. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've got cold brewski's if ya want to bring some over.

4. abelman

abelman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great , I really need to try some jerky this summer as much as I like it and can never seem to find the good stuff anymore. This sounds very good!

Of course, I need to do a lot of things this summer. So little time and so much planned.

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Your jerky looks great Zip![​IMG]

6. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Ken, I don't think the jerky will last til October.[​IMG]

7. seboke

seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How did I miss this yesterday! Been itching to give jerky a first try in the smoker. Good stuff zip!