chinese pistache?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

preston897

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Weatherford Tx.
ive got a pretty large chinese pistache in my back yard. has anyone used it for smoking? i need to do some pruning as we go into winter here in texas. im got a peach tree, a red oak, and a fruiting and fruitless mulberry. ill use all for smoke woods. but didnt know about this one

I've used pistachio tree wood from California for smoking, I have no idea if that's the same as chinese pistache. Very mild flavor when I used it for a 9 lb BostonButt, and I prefer a more robust smoke flavor. I plan to try smoking some cheese with it in my bullet smoker once the weather gets a bit cooler here.

20210704_095509.jpg
20210704_093239.jpg
20210704_124527.jpg
20210704_210837.jpg
20210704_212657.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw
I didn’t even know there was a Chinese pistachio! Haha! I’d say if it’s hard and not toxic to try it!

My understanding is that the Chinese Pistache is not technically a pistachio tree but it is a cousin of it. Because of that I'm not sure of its toxicity when burned. All I know is it's a really ugly tree... until it's not.

Urishiol is certainly noted for numerous trees, including cashew, mango, and pistachio.

Maybe you can ask an arborist?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky