Chinese BBQ Rib Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I'm looking for a good Chinese BBQ sauce for ribs.. I have tried some of the commercial ones, was not too happy with them..Your thoughts or idea's. I would prefer one already made, way too much stuff need if made from scratch!
Thanks dan

Do you have any Asian groceries nearby? I have one little place which is actually northern Burmese so there's a lot of mysterious Thai sauces. Some of them have pepper that will blow your head off. Have you tried any kind of hoisin sauce?

Or, look for something Korean if you can. You have to admire a culture that puts a grill in the middle of the table.

I like this Korean BBQ sauce for a change of pace.

20181215_064631.jpg

marinaded flanken cut ribs 24 hours in a simple korean sauce i made the other day, soy sauce,brown sugar,chili sauce,minced garlic and oinion cbp and a little beer. was awesome

Sorry, but when I think of Chinese BBQ, all I can see is tables of BBQ'd Dog.
And it pisses me off.
Why?
Different cultures, different foods, rules, beliefs, customs, values and on and on and on.
Hindus don't look too kindly upon us eating their sacred animals, much less pets.

A dog can be both a pet and emergency food source.
Native Americans kept them as pets, beasts of burden and food.

I'd try one given half a chance.
Cat too.
Plate them up!

Last edited:
Do you have any Asian groceries nearby? I have one little place which is actually northern Burmese so there's a lot of mysterious Thai sauces. Some of them have pepper that will blow your head off. Have you tried any kind of hoisin sauce?

Or, look for something Korean if you can. You have to admire a culture that puts a grill in the middle of the table.

Hi I have tried all of the Lee Kum Kee BBQ sauces, none were any good. I also went to a small Asian store and got a Chinese BBQ Sauce in jar wasn't good at all.. A good Chinese BBQ sauce has to have Hoison sauce as the main.
THanks Dan

Koon Chun is another big seller. I prefer the thicker Hoisin they make. Maybe try this brand. There is one other that I have yet to get my hands on. It's called Bullhead BBQ Sauce. I am told it is that " secret " ingredient that is the reason homemade Char Siu does not taste like take out...JJ

Hi All The recipe for Chinese BBQ Ribs, needs some work..Next time fresh ginger. I'm getting closer to restaurant style Chinese ribs.
Thanks Dan

The last time we had Chinese Take-out, we had Boneless Ribs and Mu Shu Pork. The Mu Shu is basically cabbage, pork and some other veg, placed on a Hoisin smeared Rice Paper wrapper and rolled. The Hoisin has a distinct flavor impact. The surprise was we noted the Boneless Ribs WERE NOT made with Hoisin! Now the quest begins to figure out what Sauce ingredient they are using. I need to order some ingredients but I think it has to be an XO Sauce or Sa-cha Sauce like Bulls Head...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky