Chili Relleno Pork Sausage recipe help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishwrestler

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2010
Loomis,CA
True Story (Brand)

Chili Relleno Berkshire Pork Sausage​

My wife brought home some new sausages to try the other night and we loved them. So now I must figure out how to reproduce them. I am good at making sausage, but developing the actual recipe has always been my challenge. So here I am hoping that I can get some help and input from y’all.

Here is a list of ingredients in order of the amount used. The only thing that had a % was the Monterey Jack Cheese. Anyone have a suggestion on percentages as a starting point.

Pork 100%
Cotija Cheese 20 %
Poblano Peppers 20%
2% or less Monterey jack Cheese 2%
Roasted Garlic
Sautéed onions
Sea Salt
Cane Sugar
Chili Powder
Onion Powder
Black Pepper
Granulated Garlic
Cumin
Oregano
Water
Celery Powder (thinking this might be nitrite) 0.25%

Build the recipe from a known meat weight like 1 pound or 1 Kg or whatever you choose but base it all off of a specific meat weight.

Then weigh the salt and sugar along with cure. These go in to the meat by percentage. I convert pounds to grams and figure the percentage.

1 pound= 454 grams so to figure my salt ( I like 1.5%)
454x0.015= 6.81g salt per pound.

I like about 1% sugar, sometimes less.
454x0.010= 4.54g sugar per pound of meat.

cure #1 can be applied at 1.1 grams per pound to make 156ppm.
I personally would not use celery at all. This contains Nitrate which must first convert to Nitrite. It is very hard to know the actual concentration of Nitrate in a celery product, so much safer to use cure #1 (Nitrite).

As far as spices go, that is all to taste. Generally spices are applied in the 0.25% and lower range, but can go up to 1.0% based on taste preference.

Cheese is a personal preference as well. You just have to play with that to get it right for you.

Remember you can always add more of anything, but you can’t take it out once it’s in there. Make up small batches and then fry test. You can add spice to taste before stuffing.

I suggest using some poblano powder. Its dehydrated poblanos. I use jalapeno powder along with fresh jalapeno in my sausage. It provides a boost to the pepper flavor.

RG

Reactions: Hamdrew
Read everything in the link zwiller zwiller posted.
TLDR summery:
1. Fat. 25 - 30% of total weight
2. Salt. 2% of the meat weight
3. Sugar. 10% of the salt weight (0.1% - 0.2 % of the meat weight)
4. Spices. 0.1% - 0.2% of the meat weight.
5. Cure#1. Use if smoking. 0.25% of the meat weight.
6. Water. Up to 10% of the meat weight.

Reactions: DanMcG
Saw this on the Traeger recipe board. The recipe calls for jalapeño but, quantity/pepper type would be a matter of desired heat. 🍻
Jalapev±o Cheddar Smoked Sausage Recipe | Traeger Grills
  • Hog Casings
  • 2 Pound ground pork
  • 5 jalapeño, diced
  • 1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 Tablespoon salt
  • 1 Teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Teaspoon onion powder

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky