Chickens???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLinza

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 24, 2021
Colorado
So questions for the chicken people, we have a rooster that most of the hens love to peck his head. They really, do a number on him. He is a Polish crested top hat. So he has the big feathers on his head. We have had him separated for a bit to let his head heal. But I'm about over it. But my wife thinks differently lol. Any tips on getting them to stop or is it just what it's gonna be. Any tips help. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JLeonard
few possibilities that were mentioned 1.stress, too hot of temp or overcrowding. 2 lack of space, they need to be able to move about. 3. molting, new feathers encourage pecking, or seasonal changes 4.illness 5. poor diet, not enough protein 6. unkept or dirty looking bird, don't know if any of these might help?

Keep your rooster separated from your hens, the hens need vital protein in the lay mash
(if you feed them mash) if you feed them scratch just throw it down this way the hens can scratch and be occupied.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky