Chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
When we moved in with our daughter she said hey if you want some chickens thats good. I looked at many pre fab chicken coops and did the price break down on building our own. After months i decided on the Omlet brand large chicken coop with a 9' run. I have lots of room here to make a larger run area.

When i was a kid we had 100 chickens and my dad was always fixing the coop. The S, Calif desert was hard on things, Hot/Cold and sometimes snowy

Ordered today.

6 large hens
or
8 med sz hens
or
10 bantams (smaller chicken)

egloo5.jpg

Chickens are fun. We used to have 40 but couldn't keep the coons and hawks at bay.......woke up to a blood bath one morning lol

I don't do meat birds, but I keep a flock for fresh eggs. I also sell off what eggs we don't use, which helps on the feed.

Chickens are fun. We used to have 40 but couldn't keep the coons and hawks at bay.......woke up to a blood bath one morning lol
I have my run fixed where ain't anything getting in from above or below. I did have a coon reach through the wire and grab one, and ate what it could through the wire. Some 1/2 inch wire mesh around the bottom of the run fixed that problem.

I have my run fixed where ain't anything getting in from above or below. I did have a coon reach through the wire and grab one, and ate what it could through the wire. Some 1/2 inch wire mesh around the bottom of the run fixed that problem.
That was my problem. Ours were free range during the day and went home at night and I'd close it up. Was fine. Lost one here and there. Then we raised 12 chicks in our dining room lol and put them in the coop a little early. Went out one morning to find dozens of headless chickens after the coons got them through the chicken wire

TNJAKE TNJAKE I made my run from welded wire. I ran it out flat on the ground 3 or 4 feet out from the run and laid big chunks of flat rock on top to keep anything from digging under, or at least give me warning that something was trying to dig in. I finished the roof since this pic.

View attachment 528495

Last edited:
Just try and have the best bio security you can...getting to be more bird flu again and alot of chickens being euthanized

Ryan

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I posted the pic that was linked to The image of my coop and run is what the link went to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky