Chicken, whole and parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Marshall, MO
Well the results were "OK".

These were some frozen chicken we had in the freezer and I needed to use it up so I decided to do some learning with them.

I did whole chicken marinaded in the Mexican road side.

The parts I brined over night just salt and brown sugar and used the snake bite rub recipie.

I used cherry wood chips with charcoal.

I battled the wind and the coals to keep an even temp.

I liked the thighs but my wife didn't like the breasts.

Thighs

dd4dcc72_IMAG0088.jpg

Breasts and backs.

f831ebff_IMAG0089.jpg

Of course I had to throw some ATB's on too
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

92d86f0c_IMAG0090.jpg

I wrapped up the whole chicken to take over to the bro-in-law to snack on watching football while the rug rats are out begging for candy, so I didn't get a picture of it.

The whole chicken didn't turn out so good.  It taste pretty good but it was kind of dry, not jerkey,  but not as jucy as I had hopped. Like I said, I was fighting the wind all day and had troubles keeping the temperature up and I think it took longer than it should have.  Also, I don't think I'll use briquets in this kind of wind again, there was a coating of ash on it that I wiped off and I don't eat the skin anyway, but I didn't like how it turned out.

Last edited:
Keep at it.  You'll get better results in the future.  If you provide more smoke details, maybe some of us can help get you through the next round.

One tip I can give is to start your whole birds breast side down and keep them there til about the last hour or so; juices run down into the breast meat and keep it from drying out.

icon_cool.gif

Well that's just about how most of us here learned. By our mistakes and if they are bad enough we willo never do it again. So happy learning a good lesson.

Smoke wise, I had to keep adding coal to it, allot of it, I'm using a grillpro (ecb style) leaky, smoke was billowing everywhere so I think the wind really had something to do with them burning up so fast and not keeping the heat in the smoker. I also got the water pan out of there about half way through, for some reason this unit doesn't stay any higher than 150-175 when it is in there.
I really wish I had your "breast down" advice sooner, I think that may have helped allot, when the internal temp of the breast was 160, it was well after I was getting 165 in the thighs.
Lessons are being learned, notes being taken.
Thanks,
Q

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky