• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chicken skin tips anyone?

Smokin Matt

Joined Aug 14, 2019
So I’m a newbie when it comes to smoking, I usually do individual pork ribs and chicken drumsticks together, I cook at 250 degrees for 2 and a half hours the meat comes out perfect! But my chicken skin is chewy. Anyone have any solutions or ways to fix it?

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
After smoking, put the chicken on a hot grill, or underneath the oven broiler to firm up the skin.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
I pat mine dry with paper towel, then pop salt on them and leave in fridge uncovered for a few hours or even overnight.

I also run a bit hotter with Chicken than other meats, 275-325F depending on how quick I want it done.

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
So I’m a newbie when it comes to smoking, I usually do individual pork ribs and chicken drumsticks together, I cook at 250 degrees for 2 and a half hours the meat comes out perfect! But my chicken skin is chewy. Anyone have any solutions or ways to fix it?
Hi there and welcome!

The issue is that chicken skin always comes out leathery/rubbery unless cooked at a high enough temperature. If you cook/smoke your chicken at 325F temperature you should have edible skin and likely crispy skin. You probably want to stay 315F or higher.

Now another solution is to smoke your chicken very low for a good while and when the breast hits an internal temp (IT) of like 135F or so throw it on a screaming hot grill skin side down and finish cooking it. This would get the skin whipped into shape BUT you can't do this if the chicken IT is too high already or you will overcook your chicken. Experiment with this until you get good chicken skin and remember that chicken is cheap and taste good :)

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
I do my whole chickens 24+ hours, if doing legs, thighs, breasts a few hours 3-4 should be good. i agree with 5grillztn

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Getting crisp skin is a common discussion. Many approaches and the results are personal preference. In the end was never satisfied so I changed my approach. See the recipe in the sig below.

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Skin is all fat and collagen. To get thin, bite through skin you gotta melt it down. Unfortunately, the muscle will get to eatability WAY before the skin at low temps. If you can bump the temp up like stated above, say 325F, the skin and meat finish about the same time.

pellet user

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 12, 2017
I have had that problem as well. I tried dredging the chicken in corn starch and it turns the skin into a fried chicken kind of texture. Gets it crispy though

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.