Chicken sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KillerNoms

Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Missouri
I'm looking for something to do with boneless skinless breasts & thighs from eight chickens. I'm leaning towards something cajun, like maybe andouille. But I'm having the damndest time finding a poultry andouille recipe.

I guess I could just swap the chicken for the pork butt in a standard Andouille recipe, and use fatback to get the sasuage as fatty as it needs to be, but just curious if anyone is aware of an Andouille recipe adapted to chicken or turkey.

Reactions: JLeonard
20 years ago The Washington Post published one of the best chicken sausage recipes I've ever eaten, (Santa Fe) and a second one (Chicken Apple) that is pretty good. They were printed with permission to promote the book "Hot Links and Country Flavors" by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly.... and it worked because I ordered the book the very next day. I have a subscription, but I hope the article has some 'free' reads because it's has some good background information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ole-hog/a9b158e6-a2f4-45d6-87ce-053c3d3f675d/

SPICY SANTA FE CHICKEN, PORK AND CILANTRO SAUSAGE (Makes 3 pounds, about 10 patties)

This sausage can be made with chicken and turkey or chicken and pork. Use it in any recipe that calls for spicy sausage -- tacos, enchiladas, huevos ranchero or huevos con chorizo.

1 -1/2 pounds chicken thighs, boned and skinned

1 pound pork butt (see my note below)

1/2 pound pork back fat or 3 pounds chicken and turkey skinless and boneless thighs (I omit this and use 1/2 pound more of pork butt)

1 jalapeno pepper or other hot green chili, seeded and finely chopped

1/4 cup seeded and finely chopped poblano or other mild green chili

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1/4 cup tequila

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Using a meat grinder, grind the chicken through a 3/8-inch plate, the pork and pork fat through a 1/4-inch plate (or have your butcher do it). It's also possible to use a food processor: Cut the meat and fat into small cubes and process in very small batches, using the pulse switch or turning on and off until the desired consistency is reached.

Mix the ground meats and fat with the remaining ingredients and knead until everything is well blended. Form into patties (or stuff into medium hog casings and tie into 5-inch links). Refrigerated, keeps three days; frozen, 2 months. -- From "Hot Links and Country Flavors" by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly (Knopf, 1990) Per patty: 454 calories, 27 gm protein, 1 gm carbohydrates, 35 gm fat, 12 gm saturated fat, 107 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium.

AIDELLS'S CHICKEN APPLE SAUSAGE (Makes 3 1/2 pounds, about 16 patties)

3 pounds boneless chicken thighs with skin

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

2 teaspoons fresh sage

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground coriander seed

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

2 cups dried apples, rehydrated in cider or apple juice (preferred), and chopped, or 2 cups diced fresh apples (Granny Smith or pippin)

Medium hog casings (optional)

Grind the chicken and skins through a 1/4-inch plate, or have your butcher do it. Mix the meat, skin, spices and apples together, kneading and squeezing until all the ingredients are well blended. For links, stuff the meat into medium hog casings and tie at 5-inch intervals. Other options: shape into patties, or shape the meat into one large roll, 2 inches in diameter, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, slice into 1/2-inch thick patties and fry in a skillet until brown. Refrigerated, keeps for three days; frozen; 2 months.

Per patty: 206 calories, 22 gm protein, 7 gm carbohydrates, 9 gm fat, 3 gm saturated fat, 80 mg cholesterol, 485 mg sodium.

Last edited:
I make a Chicken Sausage you can smoke it and use it in any dish you want
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky