Chicken Sausage with Dried Fruit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

milkman55

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Canyon Lake, TX
I had been wanting to make some chicken sausage since everything I had done so far was pork and my wife likes chicken.

I found a recipe on a sausage site that used dried fruit. I bought a bag of frozen skinless boneless thighs from Costco and measured out 5 lbs and ground them frozen.

The recipe called for chopped dried apples and apricots, but what I found was a bag of Sun Maid mixed dried fruit that had the apples and apricots, but also pears and plums. Sounded good so that's what I used.

Other components were fresh onion, sage, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, NFDM, kosher salt, CBP and cure#1.

I mixed the frozen ground chicken and dried ingridents and stuffed into natural casings and back to the frig to marinate overnight.

I smoked the sausage the next day in the MES30 after drying it first at 100f for an hour, then 160f with Apple pellets in my AMNPS for about 6 hrs to 160f IT. Rinsed in cold water and air dry and back to the frig overnight. Vacuum pack today.

Here is the slice shot. Has good flavor, definitely different than pork. Can taste the onion and fruit along with an occasional red pepper flake.

After adding all the onions and fruit, I ran it through the grinder again as instructed and I was stuffing with my Kitchenaid mixer. I think if I do it again, I would try and get the onions and fruit as small as possible and then mix and stuff after grinding the chicken. Stuffer is definitely my next purchase. That Kichenaid just about beats me up every time I stuff 5 lbs, can't imagine doing more than that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky