Chicken & Ribs. Yesterday and Today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is that about a 9 " radius to the big end ?
LOL , I was referring to the layout of the chicken in the first pic . Even spaced , same direction about a 2 " reveal off the side of the kettle . Yup about 9 " . Your inner Carpenter is showing in the placement of that chicken . I may or may not do the same .
👨‍🚒

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks great Ray. I'd tell the trash company it was so dang hot it melted your trash can. Jim

You now there's a lot to be said for a good old fashioned metal garbage can Jim, they may get the occasional dent, but they never melt. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Tasty looking plate of food there Ray

Thanks Jim! It took a few cooks to get the SnS dialed into the Arizona heat, but now I've got it figured to a Tee. Start it out low for slow and keep that top on tight, every time you pop the lid the temp jumps up. no peeking, spritzing, or mopping, naked all the way. Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

looks great! I would tear that up!

Thanks Dave, if I'd have been planning ahead I'd have done a few more legs so I could have had a chicken & rib combo dinner tonight with the leftovers.

Like the trash can ?

Ah geez, there's one in every crowd! RAY

All looks great Ray! And let's be honest... Melting a trash can and/or almost starting a fire is just a rite of passage right?!

View attachment 458793

:emoji_sweat_smile:

I'd need a lot of adrenalin pumping for my shoulders to cooperate doing that these days Zach, it's certainly no fence I ever built! RAY

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
LOL , I was referring to the layout of the chicken in the first pic . Even spaced , same direction about a 2 " reveal off the side of the kettle . Yup about 9 " . Your inner Carpenter is showing in the placement of that chicken . I may or may not do the same .👨‍🚒

Come on Rich, if it wasn't laid out symmetrical it couldn't possibly cook right! RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks John! I guess I'll find out tomorrow how understanding the trash pickup folks are about these little mishaps Thanks for the Like my friend, I do appreciate it! RAY

Ray , you're not the first , won't be the last . I mean I've never done it ,,, but I know it happens .
I better be careful . I've got chicken thighs and a slab of spares getting ready to go on . Lol .

Ray , you're not the first , won't be the last . I mean I've never done it ,,, but I know it happens . I better be careful . I've got chicken thighs and a slab of spares getting ready to go on . Lol .

You know what the real pisser is Rich, I carried the ashtray over to the garbage can with my bare hands, didn't even feel warm. When I saw the garbage can in flames that was five hours after I'd dumped the ashes into the can. It must have been one little tiny spark that took hours to fester into flames. I have learned my lesson, when I use my electric Pro 100 I dump the spent wood chips into a metal bucket then spray it with water. Now I'm just waiting to find out what the garbage company is going to drill me out of for this. RAY

Both the chicken and ribs look excellent Ray! That vortex kettle setup seems to be the undisputed king when making chicken!

Sorry to see the can, good thing the damage was limited mostly to that. I can’t see the garbage company raising a stink over it. Around here we just say the bears got into it.

Looks great! I may have melted a trash can a little myself. Two solutions metal can as stated or my preferred method of more grills or smokers!

Wow Ray...two more great looking cooks on the kettle. Between you and some great stuff I've seen others post, and months of contemplation, I finally pulled the trigger and got a Weber along with some of the mandatory toys. Got three cooks under my belt not and all have been fantastic. Great job buddy and a big LIKE!!

Robert

Both the chicken and ribs look excellent Ray! That vortex kettle setup seems to be the undisputed king when making chicken! Sorry to see the can, good thing the damage was limited mostly to that. I can’t see the garbage company raising a stink over it. Around here we just say the bears got into it.

Thanks Joe! Both the Vortex and the SnS were real game changers for me Joe, pushed the Weber right to the top of the Most Valuable Smoker list. I lucked out on the garbage can, now arrives here tomorrow morning, no charge. RAY

Looks great! I may have melted a trash can a little myself. Two solutions metal can as stated or my preferred method of more grills or smokers!

Thanks b-one! I may have had a few minor mishaps in the past but this was something else again to see flames shooting up right next to the house, changes are in store. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Wow Ray...two more great looking cooks on the kettle. Between you and some great stuff I've seen others post, and months of contemplation, I finally pulled the trigger and got a Weber along with some of the mandatory toys. Got three cooks under my belt not and all have been fantastic. Great job buddy and a big LIKE!! Robert

Thank you my friend! Congrats on the new Q Robert, I know with your culinary skills and creativity some great cooks are in store and I'll be looking forward to seeing them. Thanks you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

It's that wonderful time of year when every day is BBQ day, of course here in beautiful Gilbert, AZ that's 365 days a year. Friday was just some easy peasy yardbird legs using the Vortex on the Weber. Jeff's Original Rub, Sweet Baby Ray's!
View attachment 458753View attachment 458754View attachment 458755
Started the day off with a little garbage can fire from last night's ashes, old dog gonna have to learn a new trick or two, wife got crabby.
View attachment 458756
Once everything's settled down got the Weber fired back up using the SnS today. Rack of St Louis ribs with some hickory chunks for smoke, I'll try not to burn the house down.
View attachment 458757
As long as I was on a roll I decided I'd go without a probe in the rack, 225º-250º for 6 & 1/2 hours. Hey, it worked!
View attachment 458758
Plated up with a little homemade slaw and some tater salad, the American way.
View attachment 458759
You never know what's in store on any given day. One day you may just about start a fire that'll burn your house down. On another you might just fire up some good pork ribs. What the hell. some days you just might do both! Thanks for lookin'! RAY
did a few chuck roasts on Saturday but with 115 degrees outside here in Fountain Hills had to keep closer eye on temps but your chicken and ribs look good

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky