Chicken pot pie: Part 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chicken pot pie is a big favorite around here!

Looking forward to seeing yours!

Al
Now I gotta find some smaller baking bowls for them because I want the traditional size.   Also not sure if I want dough on the dough in the bottom or only the top.  As of now I'm planning on using pastry dough.

Keith I purchased 50 of the disposable Tim ones in Amazon a few months back. They were under $10. I'll be making our family meat pies with them soon.

I freeze them (fully cooked).. Remove from the tin and then vac pac.

I looked all over for microwaveable ones but I would've had to buy a million of them for a small fortune...

Last edited:
Keith I purchased 50 of the disposable Tim ones in Amazon a few months back. They were under $10. I'll be making our family meat pies with them soon.

I freeze them (fully cooked).. Remove from the tin and then vac pac.

I looked all over for microwaveable ones but I would've had to buy a million of them for a small fortune...
Yea Case I was hoping to find the foil ones at Walmart or somewhere for now.   I'd love to freeze some also. 

Case do you put the dough on the bottom also?
Keith if I am making our family meat pies or for "pot pies" I put dough on the bottom.

For Shepard's pie no dough on the bottom only dough or mashed taters on top.

That's how my grandmothers and mom taught me. If it doesn't have a bottom and it has meat its Shepard's pie (unless it chili pie).

Keith if I am making our family meat pies or for "pot pies" I put dough on the bottom.

That's how my grandmothers and mom taught me. If it doesn't have a bottom and it has meat its Shepard's pie (unless it chili pie).
Ok, thanks!   I've been seeing it both ways in recipes and youtubes.    Prebake crust?    It looks like I'm using the flat pastry dough. Thanks

Ok, thanks!   I've been seeing it both ways in recipes and youtubes.    Prebake crust?    It looks like I'm using the flat pastry dough. Thanks
I do not pre-bake the crust. I have a super simple dough recipe that I will post here in a few minutes. Which if you had schmaltz to use for the fat in the dough would be awesome with your pies.

If you choose to prebake your crusts, make sure and "blind" bake them. after placing the crust dough in the pan, line with parchment paper, fill with dried beans. This will keep the dough from rising and also helps keep the dough on the sides of the tin. If pre-baking it also helps if you prick the dough all over.

You want a good crust,every one raves about this one.

Thanks to Kevin

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/235484/first-of-fall-fresh-apple-pie-foamheart

Dough recipe:

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup butter or 2/3 cup shortening or 2/3 cups schmaltz

5 -7 tablespoons cold water

Put flour into a mixing bowl with the butter (shortening or schmaltz)

Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour.

add salt and water.

Mix until dough is formed.

Roll out on flat surface.

Bake at 375 degrees until brown.

Prick crust prior to baking for non filled baked pies. Blind Bake (line crust with parchment fill with dried beans).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky