Chicken Legs in #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwette

Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
I have a #2D and am relatiuvely new to smoking meat.

I would like to try some chicken legs. I have 10 of them brined and rubbed. I usually cook them on my Big Green Egg.

Any recommendations for temp and time in the smoker? I was thinking 230º and about 2 hrs?

Cook to temp not time. All kind of variables that can effect time. They are ready at around 175-180. And like mentioned above you'll want some high heat at the end to crisp the skin. Otherwise it will be rubber

Reactions: negolien
Thanks for the advice everyone. This sounds better as a weekend project to start. I think I'll make this round on the BGE, which has great results anyway. I have some chicken quarters in the freezer. I'll try smoking them this weekend.

I have done pork successfully so far (pulled pork, St. Louis ribs, thick cut chops), but haven't tried poultry. I still want to do a beef brisket, but that's so expensive right now.

Last edited:
I envisioned something totally different when I read your thread title. My first thought was you were marinating the legs in poop. Glad I was wrong. LOL

The guys have you pretty much covered. Enjoy those legs.

Chris

I cook yardbird legs on my Weber using the Vortex 3-4 times a month. This looks like the legs would come out juicy with crispy skin. As long as you have a BGE might be the way to go. RAY

I cook yardbird legs on my Weber using the Vortex 3-4 times a month. This looks like the legs would come out juicy with crispy skin. As long as you have a BGE might be the way to go. RAY

I can already cook chicken pretty well on my BGE.

DC8FDE66-F814-49E1-976C-E780F9E26CEF.jpeg

I have a #2D and am relatiuvely new to smoking meat.

I would like to try some chicken legs. I have 10 of them brined and rubbed. I usually cook them on my Big Green Egg.

Any recommendations for temp and time in the smoker? I was thinking 230º and about 2 hrs?

FYI: If your unit won't do 300°, I had good luck with my MES units at 265° for the last hour for decent skin.

Bear

FYI: If your unit won't do 300°, I had good luck with my MES units at 265° for the last hour for decent skin.

Bear
Max temp is 325º F, but at the point the BGE is a better tool. I can fire the latter up to 500º in no time and really get a good crisp on the skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky