Chicken Fried Pork Chops & Grilled Zucchini (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Everybody knows about chicken fried steak. There are places here that serve chicken fried chicken. I've never seen or heard of anybody cooking chicken fried pork chops though. This thought hit the deepest, darkest recess at the back of my convoluted brain early in the day two days ago. Throughout the day it slowly clawed it's way to the front of the brain. Thank God it was a really short trip :emoji_laughing: I figured why not? I see no reason at all why this wouldn't work so went with it. Got the chops out to defrost and headed down an unknown path.

When Rick and Susan were here Saturday for the rib feast they brought some fresh zucchini from Rick's garden. He's getting a ton of it apparently. These are huge!!
001.jpg

Decided to use this seasoning on them. Same stuff as on some recent chops I posted
002.jpg

Cut the zucchini in half and slice it as evenly as I could. Brush with my homemade garlic and herb infused olive oil and apply seasoning
003.jpg

Hit the chops with the jaccard, brush with melted butter, a sprinkle of S&P, then coated with heavily seasoned flour
004.jpg

The leftover mac & cheese from Saturday's rib feast
005.jpg

A basic country style white gravy with lots of black pepper....just for Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) :emoji_laughing:
006.jpg

Chops into a hot CI skillet on the grill with oil and the zucchini over the sear burner
007.jpg

Chops sizzling away nicely
008.jpg

Flip the zucchini
009.jpg

Flip the chops. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far
010.jpg

Everything done
011.jpg

Plated up and guess where we're headed...out to the patio
012.jpg

Pork chop heaven!! Perfectly cooked with just a slight bit of pink. Tender and juicy
013.jpg

Remember, a bunch of you told me to keep posting stuff when I was concerned about blowing up the forum, so this is your fault :emoji_laughing:

What can I say? Y'all know I have a tendency to go way out of bounds with things and this is no exception. As odd as it may sound, these chops were absolutely outstanding!! I didn't get the real heavy coating you typically see on CFS, probably because I used butter instead of egg wash. The butter did add a richness and silkiness to the pork though and it was well worth not having the heavy coating. Once again when I told Tracy what I was working on, I got "that look", which all of us men are used to seeing :emoji_astonished: The end result however got a look of happiness from her so I'm good with that :emoji_wink: As great as the chops were, that zucchini was amazing. Never tried grilling it before but that is definitely a winner. All in all a really good, creative, and fun dinner.

That's all folks!! For now anyway. Got something fun in mind for dinner this evening.....

Robert

Yes Sir, most excellent. We have chicken fried pork chops and cutlets my whole life. They are great pounded out with a mallet as well. Excellent supper. Nicely done and big like.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Heck ya! Amazing Robert! I actually saw your thread title before I saw you tagged me in it and thought...I'm gonna read this before it's several days old lol. You say "chicken fried" and it turns my head as fast as "gravy"! So chicken fried covered in gravy is the bomb! So curious as to the texture of the zucchini after it was done...we don't eat it hardly ever.

Ryan

Awesome Robert, Mr Demolition Man! My wife and I had pork schnitzel for our wedding diner🤣So hard to beat, but didn’t look anything as awesome as yours! Great thread, the CI shot is so cool looking. I love CI on the grill. Great thread I’m going to try to emulate soon!

I got "that look", which all of us men are used to seeing :emoji_astonished: The end result however got a look of happiness from her so I'm good with that :emoji_wink: As great as the chops were, that zucchini was amazing

That is 1 fantastic looking meal, and i'm with Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . Chicken fried and gravy What's not to like.
Now I want pork chops and gravy, not a bad want at all

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Keep that howitzer firing Robert. That meal looks simply fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

What a fantastic looking meal there Robert! We never really ate chicken fried anything while growing up and the few times I did have it, it was awesome...Seeing your plate has got me hungry for some now. The grilled zucchini looks great too, that's definitely a summer staple for me.

Another winner Robert. We do Jager schnitzel often with low carb spätzle and German mushroom gravy, will have to try this.

• Love
Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great Robert! We had chicken fried steak last night. Must have been thinking alike....again!

Yes Sir, most excellent. We have chicken fried pork chops and cutlets my whole life
Thanks so much...but where have you been all my life? I must have been living in a bubble and missed out on this.
Heck ya! Amazing Robert! I actually saw your thread title before I saw you tagged me in it and thought...I'm gonna read this before it's several days old lol. You say "chicken fried" and it turns my head as fast as "gravy"!
Yes sir,, we do have a bit of a history where gravy is concerned :emoji_wink: Every time I make any sort of gravy you're in the forefront of my deviant little mind.
You Chicken Fry it and I'll eat it.
I'm with you John!! Southern comfort food.

Robert

Awesome Robert, Mr Demolition Man! My wife and I had pork schnitzel for our wedding diner🤣So hard to beat, but didn’t look anything as awesome as yours! Great thread, the CI shot is so cool looking. I love CI on the grill. Great thread I’m going to try to emulate soon!
Thank you Jed. It came out well for a first attempt. your comment made me feel kinda stupid though. My brain was wrapped around Southern cooking and the thought of German good never crossed my mind. They hare huge in schnitzel and I totally forgot about it.
That is 1 fantastic looking meal, and i'm with Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . Chicken fried and gravy What's not to like.
Now I want pork chops and gravy, not a bad want at all
Appreciate it David. There are several of us here who have gravy running through our veins. It's always fun to share a meal with the group but the gravy makes it special
Keep that howitzer firing Robert. That meal looks simply fabulous.
Thanks so much Chris. I probably shouldn't tell you this but I have a dinner from Thursday that was fantastic!! Time permitting I might get it posted over the weekend. Gonna be kinda busy though....

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great . I'm another that this was at least once a week growing up . Bone in chop with crushed saltine cracker coating fried in a cast iron skillet .
Nice work , I'll be putting this on the table soon .

What a fantastic looking meal there Robert! We never really ate chicken fried anything while growing up and the few times I did have it, it was awesome...Seeing your plate has got me hungry for some now. The grilled zucchini looks great too, that's definitely a summer staple for me.
Thank you my friend. The zucchini was a first for me and we both loved it. The chops are certainly on the must-do-again list also. So easy to make but so darned good.
Another winner Robert. We do Jager schnitzel often with low carb spätzle and German mushroom gravy, will have to try this.
Thanks Cliff. As noted to Jed, I totally forgot about German foods when I said I'd never heard of this meal. A true brain fart I guess.
Except processed kale patties lol.
Sorry but that just sounds gross :emoji_laughing: I like kale but this sounds like a great way to ruin it. You definitely put things into perspective though.

Robert

So curious as to the texture of the zucchini after it was done...we don't eat it hardly ever.
The zucchini was soft but the outside (skin) had a bit of a crunchy texture. Was kind of a nice combination. Sorry...missed this in my first reply to you.
Looks great Robert! We had chicken fried steak last night. Must have been thinking alike....again!
Thanks so much Steve, and yes we do seem to replicate meals quite frequently, totally by accident. Great minds drink...er, uh, think alike I guess :emoji_wink:
Amazing! Look darn good.
Thank you Jim!! The chops did look pretty good with all that pepper in the coating but man, did they taste good!!
Man that looks excellent Robert! Grilled zuchinni is awesome. I would say you nailed that one!
Thanks john. Kinda strange. We both love zucchini but I'd never grilled it before. Done yellow squash before and enjoyed that but never zucchini. that's gonna change!!

Robert

Looks great . I'm another that this was at least once a week growing up . Bone in chop with crushed saltine cracker coating fried in a cast iron skillet .
Nice work , I'll be putting this on the table soon .
Hmmm...gotta admit, I like the idea of the crushed crackers. That sounds like it'd be really good. Thank you for the kind words and the idea.

Robert

Fantastic looking plate Robert, and those zukes are really calling out to me! Might be time to cut some chops from a pork loin and pound them out some and do some work on the patio skillet, love that gravy too! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky