• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chicken and wood question ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

sucasa

Newbie
Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Location
SE NM
Opinions wanted about apple wood and chicken.  I'm trying to branch out with different woods besides mesquite and hickory and have been looking at the fruit woods.  If we're big hickory and mesquite lovers, is apple going to be too mellow you think??  Is cherry any stronger??  Thanks!

Susan

CLB
 
I use apple / pecan mix on chicken and love it. 
 
I think if your used to Mesquite and hickory that apple wood, might be a bit mellow for you, but that might not be a bad thing with stuff like chicken, and even some pork loins and such
 
I use hickory on just about everything & mesquite on poultry. I have tried other woods, but I guess I'm a smokeaholic because I like the flavor of mesquite on chicken.
 
Cherry is a bit stronger than apple; plum is even a little more aggressive, IMHO.  Both are great on poultry (so is apple).  Ash (an Olive tree family member) is wonderful on poultry as well.  I've also used walnut with great results.  The apple/pecan mix Scar recommends is a good and very common method.  Try some different ones & combos and see what you like.  Experimenting is most of the fun -- besides the eating, I mean!

Cheers
 
I have used apple, Cherry, hickory, and mesquite  they are ordered in the strength of smoke. I like any and all or a mix there of
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky