Chicken and Pork Tamales...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ellymae

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 21, 2009
Southeastern PA
Last week I smoked a chicken and pork shoulder with the intent of making tamales this weekend.

Homemade Chili sauce for the pork...

Finely shredded pork with the above chili sauce..

Shredded chicken with Salsa Verde

Boat load of Masa

The corn husks soaked and ready to go...

Step one...

Chicken on the masa

First 2 ready to go

All done and ready for the steamer...

Everyone is in the steamer now...

Thanks for looking!

Oh yeah - have another pork shoulder on the Traeger right now - at $0.99/pound I stocked up. Two more in the freezer.

Looks-Great.gif
 A dozen for me please
biggrin.gif

Happy smoken.

David

Looks like your gonna have some good eats for a while. Wish I could be there to enjoy them with you.

Since I'm not going nto be present , I hope you have loads of fun and enjoy them.

Have fun and as always. . .

Did you smoke the shoulder for the tamales? I'm making mine in a few weeks and was just going to cook it on the stove like normal. Never thought about smoking it. If you smoked it, how long did it take? The tamales looked great by the way.
Charlie

I smoked the chicken and the pork shoulder the weekend before, pulled them while they were still warm and into the deep freeze. I like to divy up the work so I don't have to take all day to do these. Did them hot and fast in the 300* range so the shoulder took around 6-7 hours I think.
Pork shoulders were 99 cents a pound here last week so we took advantage of that sale and now have plenty of pork in the freezer.

I am going to try that this year. Did you order your red chili online? I found some at Wegmans where I live in northwest Pa., but there only a few in each bag. I was trying to get them from Hatch NM. but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I'd like to make mine after Thanksgiving, maybe even use some leftover smoked turkey in some.

Thanks

Charlie

No made the red sauce from scratch using New Mexico chilis. Got them at the local grocery store and if I hadn't found them there I could have gone to the local Mexican grocery. The sauce was OK.. thought it was lacking something... no depth of flavor.

Never seen anything like that before.

Looks good, but corn husk?

Yes Adam - corn husks. You just use them to wrap and steam the tamales in. You remove them to eat them.

I am glad to hear you didn't eat the husk.

Not sure what that would taste like.

They look awesome.That brings back memories when i was a kid. My dad would drive down to a stand and buy some for a after dinner snack. Back in New Orleans. Many, many moons ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky