Chicken Ain't Nothin' but a Bird!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hello!
Over this past Saturday i made some smoked BBQ chicken on the smoker. I spatchcocked the bird and smoke it for 2 hours. I used my candy apple red sauce my family loves on the bird at the end of the cook. Here is how it turned out.

Skinned, removed the wings and rubbed overnight with Weber's chicken n' rib rub... I put on a grill screen to make it easier to transport and move around on the smoker.
Chicken1.jpg

the cook overall (with a chuckie and some CSR's) on the smoker..
Cook1.jpg

After about an hour and a half at 300 degrees....
Chciken2.jpg

Now i sauced it up with my candy apple red sauce and let go for another 20-25 minutes..
Chicken3.jpg

all done and rested and put in the fridge for dinner on Monday! can't wait!

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Nice looking bird Aaron, looks like a good main course for Monday nights dinner.

Point for sure.

Chris

Nice looking bird Aaron, looks like a good main course for Monday nights dinner.

Point for sure.

Chris
thank you Chris! can't wait to eat it tonight!

Good looking bird!
You have some nice color on that guy!
thank you Joe! i chalk the color up to the sauce...that recipe is designed to give good color and not burn easy.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: joedube70
Those look great. I don't know that I would have the will power to wait for a day to devour them. What is this candy apple red sauce you speak of?

Those look great. I don't know that I would have the will power to wait for a day to devour them. What is this candy apple red sauce you speak of?
thanks Dude!
I smoked it Saturday so i actually waited two days. (Saturday we ate CSR's for my Dad and last night was pizza night)
my candy apple red sauce is a sauce i have developed for pork and chicken originally so i could get a tasty sauce on my ribs and good color too..here is the recipe...

1/4 stick margerine or butter
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
2 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
let sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

I have increased the sugar in this recipe because we like it sweet but you can adjust to taste.
can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can spice it up with 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

here is what is looks like on ribs...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Those look amazing. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Will definitely give it a try this weekend.
thanks!
if you use the recipe make sure to simmer the sauce to melt the ingredients etc. if you don't like it you will be about the first!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Phatbac that Lang is sure making you look good :)
Awesome smoke!!
I love black betty she will be missed when i finally sell her! I can't wait to get the new smoker!
thanks hardcookin!

I missed this one this weekend I guess, looks great. The color is amazing Big like
Thank you Doug! and the color is all in the sauce!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I love black betty she will be missed when i finally sell her! I can't wait to get the new smoker!
thanks hardcookin!

Thank you Doug! and the color is all in the sauce!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
I saw your post on the sauce. Definitely going to try it

Reactions: phatbac
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky