Cherry Smoked Quail and More

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chile,

She says that they just added them to the sugar and butter that was inserted into the core.

I googled it and some recipes use regular sugar, water, cinnamon, and red hots melted in a sauce pan, but I like your idea with the brown sugar better.

John

Chile,

She says that they just added them to the sugar and butter that was inserted into the core.

I googled it and some recipes use regular sugar, water, cinnamon, and red hots melted in a sauce pan, but I like your idea with the brown sugar better.

John
LMFAO!
I thought you were talking about the Quail.
:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Heck yeah, Red Hot candied apples, inside and out, yum!

Sorry I should have been more specific...I have that problem cause I am a hunk and peck on the keyboard guy. :emoji_upside_down:

I used to love those little Red-Hots, but haven't seen them for years!

I'm also good at reading "Hunt & Peck Shorthand", because I use it myself.

Bear

All looks awesome. I have some birds I was given I’ll try this with. Think they are called chukars? Gotta love your use of the worlds best apple too. Honey crisp are amazing.

when you say dry brined, do you mean the quail is lighted dusted like your second picture shows? about how much kosher salt did you use for the dozen birds?

i was gifted about 20 quail and don't want to mess them up by having them too salty.

I got a hold of a mess of farm raised quail and figured they'd make a wonderful Sunday dinner.

The Menu
Cherry Smoked Bacon Wrapped Quail
Garden Style Saffron Rice
Baked Apples with Ice Cream

Cherry Smoked Bacon Wrapped Quail
12 Quail, washed, dried and dry brined with Kosher salt for 18 hours.
12 strips of bacon, partially pre cooked
* these little birds cook so fast that partially pre cooking the bacon is a must*
Season the quail and wrap in the bacon.
Smoke over cherry at 375° till juices run clear and thigh temps at 165°

ZhgiC5h.jpg

inkW3rt.jpg

0TmpM9U.jpg

QWJ9jTy.jpg

Garden Style Saffron Rice
2C Rice
4C Vegetable stock
1t Spanish Saffron
1C Mixed vegetables, frozen
4T Butter
1T Salt

Steep the saffron in the vegetable stock while it heats to a boil.
Add the butter, salt, frozen vegetables and rice, return to a boil, stir a few times and then lower to fast simmer and cover.
Cook for 25 minutes.

nPSPNyk.jpg

Baked Apples with Ice Cream
7 Honeycrisp apples, large
7 pats of Butter, 1/2T each
3/4C Brown Sugar
1T Cinnamon
1/2C Walnuts, crushed
1/2C Dried cranberries, chopped

Mix all except the apple and butter together and set aside.
Core the apples without going all the way through, leave about a 1/2" bottom.
Put 1/3 each pat of butter in the apple.
Fill apple with sugar mixture, tamp it down about 1/8" below the top of each apple.
Top each apple with rest of each pat of butter.
Smoke at 350°-375° over a nice fruit wood, I used cherry today.
Cook for about an hour, don't overcook or it'll get mushy.

q7HNCsf.jpg

ke286JT.jpg

XD53zFA.jpg

PGgSWK2.jpg

The Finale

H2ciLxZ.jpg

RZCVV1H.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky