Cheese season is back...

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by worktogthr, Oct 27, 2015.

1. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Finally getting cool enough at night to smoke some cheese for personal use (did a bunch for charity recently). Just opened my last package from last March so it's definitely the perfect time to start smoking some more cheese. Used Cookin Pellets blend of hickory, apple, cherry, and maple in the MES30. Varieties included mozzarella, pepper jack, ghost pepper cheddar, buffalo wing Jack, cranberry cheddar, truffle cheddar, three different brands of Gouda, 2%cernont cheddar, Vermont cheddar, ale house cheddar, Gruyere, butterkaise and maybe a few I can't remember. Here are some pics:

The wait is going to be killer especially because I have learned the longer you wait the more incredible the taste. I'm sure I'll bust a couple open in two weeks! Thanks for looking!

-Chris

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    driedstick likes this.
  2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Woa, alot of differant cheese's there.

How long did you smoke ?

3. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks like some awesome cheese! I am diggin that ghost pepper cheddar, I need to find some of that.

Hmmm, I am smelling cheese, eating cheese, reading about cheese, in the cheese forum, planning my next cheese smoke and counting how many smoke cheeses I have in my supply.

I'll take your picture... say "Cheese"

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice smoke! I didn't know that cheese season ends. We make and eat it year round!

5. xray

xray Smoking Fanatic

Very nice and looks great! I wish I had the space to do that much.

6. worktogthr

Hahaha variety is the spice of life. I have been stocking up all summer every time I saw a sale.   I went by color rather than time but it is usually between 3 and 3.5 hours to achieve what I'm looking for.

7. worktogthr

I saw the ghost pepper cheddar on sale at Aldi and I couldn't resist.  Haven't even tried it yet unsmoked.  I try to buy at least two of everything I haven't tried so I can make cheese platters for parties with the side by side comparison of smoked and unsmoked.  I too have been obsessing about cheese haha

8. worktogthr

Thanks!  I am lucky to have an extra fridge in my basement so it serves as my project fridge.  Right now it has cheese mellowing, pastrami curing, and various meats thawing and marinating for dinners throughout the week.  If you have the space maybe you could find a cheap extra fridge on craigslist.

9. worktogthr

Thanks!  hahaha I don't want it to end but the summers get hot and even when it's around 50 degrees in the early fall, the AMNPS puts out enough heat to get the cheese to that almost melting state when I use my MES30.  Maybe I can try something less insulated for smoking.  Or freeze some water bottles and throw them in.  Would love to do a mailbox mod but changing a lightbulb is about the extent of my handyman skills haha

10. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job Chris I got some smoke a few weeks back.

Richie

11. xray

xray Smoking Fanatic

Ghost pepper cheese at Aldi's? I'll have to look there.

12. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I haven't figured out how to do that in Texas yet. Last week it was 90 degrees in Dallas...

I too am looking forward to the cool night so I can start to replenish last year's cheese.

13. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm eating smoked cheese that's 2 years old!

14. mowin

mowin Master of the Pit

There's no way I'd be able to wait two yrs.. I'm having a hard time waiting 4 weeks (this weekend) to try my first ever smoked cheddar.

15. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

Love me some smoked cheese.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  16. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang it man you make me proud!!! LOL   your smoker is full and looks very yummy [​IMG]

Very nice job,,

I have to do some more soon

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

17. 4pogo7

4pogo7 Smoking Fanatic

Holy Cow that's a lot of cheese!! And it looks good too!

18. smokesontuesday

smokesontuesday Smoking Fanatic

Those labels are slick.

19. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ya,,,, labels that is cool I will have to do something like that

DS

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  20. worktogthr

I agree! Those labels are all professional looking.  If i were to gift them, I would definitely do that.  My strategy was a little different this time for packaging.  I put a bunch of one kind in a larger bag so that I can take out a bar at a time and reseal them.  That way I can taste them at different stages of aging and only use one big bag instead of 4 or 5 little ones.