Cheese on the WSM- first time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
This is something I always wanted to do, and thanks to this forum, especially gmc 2003, I was able to finally do it. Outside temperature was 33 degrees during my smoke. Cheese: extra sharp chedder, sharp cheddar, New York chedder, Swiss, and pepper jack.

A89474AD-1AAB-40AA-B34C-9FABC3F03BE3.jpeg

E0092B56-900F-4255-B828-DA1E59FE616D.jpeg

44EC5FE2-EF12-446A-86FB-FEECA4A6F5DC.jpeg

D6430F97-C6F1-4B17-A19B-E3ACCD623376.jpeg

D9D19F6A-7DEB-43CD-917D-00363D7DFBA9.jpeg

Attachments

• 2408F3A5-C555-4A77-A3A3-AB06B57EE856.jpeg
    2408F3A5-C555-4A77-A3A3-AB06B57EE856.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 21
Looks good. I am cold smoking cheese, salt and butter tomorrow. What flavor smoke did you use?

Thanks everyone for the comments.
First time using my vac sealer too. Works great.

Now, the hard part is waiting 2 weeks. That cheese will go good with our deer jerky!

Your cheese looks fantastic yankee, great color. Next time load the smoker up, because that cheese won't last very long.

Point for sure
Chris

Note: instead of marking the cheese, next time just make a diagram of you cheese placement on a piece of paper.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Y2BBQ, good looking cheese,you better start another batch so you have a good supply come summer!

Congrats on taking the plunge. Nice looking cheese.

Add Cream Cheese to your shopping list. It's my favorite and the favorite of a bunch of folks I've shared it with.

(The Frog mat is not necessary)

5S6PzJR.jpg

I see you put your cheese on the lower level. What was the outside temperature? Wondering if it is better than being on the top rack. My temp inside the smoker got up to 75 degrees. And outside temp was 33 degrees.

Really great looking cheese. That is on my list, but it seems I never had the time for it in the past yet. So looking to do that in next month or so. That is a Like for sure.

I see you put your cheese on the lower level. What was the outside temperature? Wondering if it is better than being on the top rack. My temp inside the smoker got up to 75 degrees. And outside temp was 33 degrees.

I fill both racks, (And usually fill more completely than this).

I use two 6 inch tubes. (They fit better in my 18 inch smoker), and I figure on them raising the temperature inside the smoker by 10 to 15 degrees. I don't smoke cheese until the temps go below 45*. In my experience; the cheese will start slumping through the grates at about 85* smoke chamber temp.

I have put a frozen gallon size water jug in the water bowl to help keep temps down, but not often.

PcQ5YKh.jpg

bsUVaCj.jpg

Wow! That’s a lot of cheese! Thanks for the info. I want to do another batch this weekend. The daytime high is supposed to be around 30 degrees and cloudy. So, I’m hoping only 1 smoke tube will give me enough heat to smoke. (Or does that even matter?)

Last edited:
Nice job! I smoked cheese for the first time a couple of years ago...also with the help of this site! Always enjoyed smoked cheese but rarely got it due to the expense. Doing it yourself is well worth it. Let us know how it came out. Got to do some more soon as I am running low.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky