CHEERS To The Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Happy Friday Smoky Cookies!!!!

It's almost 9 a.m., and I've gotten some writing work done, watched the news, eaten breakfast, tackled last night's incoming e-mail, grilled swordfish, eaten a magnificent and simple dinner, groomed one of my dogs, cleaned up the furry kitchen afterward, and am now onto what's next!

However, with the sunshine out, and SPRING officially now here, I wanted to simply share my "simple sword"...

and wish everyone a sensational Friday and start to the weekend!

So whether you're grilling, smoking, or baking or broiling per se; please make your weekend's start up sensational, and share some wine with somebody else today as well!

Just thought I'd send some good energy out to the wonderful winos!

Thanks for sharing in my simple but wonderful morning!

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!! - Leah

(And please share what's on deck for you this great weekend, and what you're eating, drinking and SMOKING, right here)!!!!

You have such a great "eye" for photos Leah and plate beautifully.  Excellent photography, not snapshots at all.  I'm going to have to learn to do that, but practice with calf liver or something I don't like eating.  When food I want to eat is ready, my stomach acts like a drooling, scrambling puppy about to tear into a meal!

I won't know what's on deck for making this weekend until I stop by the grocery on the way home from work to see what's on sale.  That's pretty much how I decide every weekend.

Bon appetit! 

Last edited:
Hey thank you (Noboundaries)!

That's so very kind!

Indeed, to look at food and not dive in is pretty bizarre!

If it is "meat," then I just rationalize this by the fact that it needs to 'rest' some. (7 seconds still counts as a rest! It DOES)!!! Smiles.

With fish, well, I just say to myself: "but if you hurry and snap a picture - unprofessional picture as it be," (plus I don't 'alter' my photos and so they are simply posted as they are), "then it will still capture a little 'something' to share with others."

Or so I do say to myself anyway!!! Smiles.

In any event, happy weekend to you!

I look forward to hearing about what you do eat and drink once you're off work and into the cooking groove sometime over the weekend!

This group is just such great fun!!!

Cheers! - Leah

Morn'n Sunshine...........I'm not completely sure what all is happening this weekend. Maybe bacon wrapped chicken parts on the smoker tonight (Jeff's news letter gave me that idea). I do know that I will have two hams, two sides of bacon, and all four hocks off my neighbors hog to smoke in the morning. I will have pizza tomorrow night with the rodeo committee while we go over plans for the upcoming rodeo in May. Sunday promises 25 lb of pork to grind, mix. and stuff into hog guts to make Brats. Then on Monday I will have to do nothing but stair at the smoker while the brats hang out.

BTW........tiny bit of rain today but high 60's to mid 70's and blue skies through Monday. Sorry Leah.......lol

Brad

Back at you Brad!!!!!!

And WOW does your stock of food sound pretty fantastic!!!

And wasn't Jeff's newsletter picture just beautiful???? I love "Thursdays" for that fun reason!!!

The Rodeo Committee sounds like the best part however! That must be an entire culture, experience, and fun!!!

Happy weekend to you out in the sunny west!!!!!!!! Share some food/sips when you eat!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Well, good evening everyone!  Ahhhh, my weekend has begun.  I'm being the bachelor this weekend as my wife picked up a fun consulting gig for three days.  She's off to Reno.  I do business there all the time so I waved goodbye earlier today as she drove off in my truck to brave the Sierra snow and one "no slack" highway patrolman over Donner Summit.  She just called while I was typing and she's arrived safely in the Biggest Little City in the World.

Me?  I'm now sipping the last of a 2010 Sangiovese, letting the magic of the vine wash away a character building day.  On the way home from work I picked up a nice 5 lb Boneless Cross Rib Roast to smoke some roast beef, plus a 3.5 lb chuckie to cut up and make faux burnt ends I read about in another thread here in SMF.  As I was pouring the last of the Sangiovese I checked the wine rack and there's a 2010 Super Tuscan that's begging to keep me company at dinner tomorrow night.  Ahhhh, let the hours unwind.

Happy Weekend All!

Ray  

Last edited:
Cattlemans cutlet last night with  Wynns black label cab/sav,Just grill them on cast iron griddle made some compound butter.

Tonight will be Octopus marinated in EVO,garlic,chilli,lemon,cbp. Will poke around the cellar for something to drink.

I will do that on the griddle as well. Chinese greens on the side.

Football on sunday ,dear old friend flying in from Singapore for a holiday. 

Lunch at the pub,courtesy bus will take us to the game.Tigers vSea Eagles ,very Sydney .

Wow these weekend updates are delicious!!!! I love it!!!

Ray, when Super Tuscans are involved, EVERYTHING is wonderful!!! How amazing! And your cooking plans sound incredible too! So fun!

And Mick, that must have been sensational yesterday too! And now octopus!!!!! Oh fantastic!

I'm excited to taste everyone's meals via the screen even!

Such a fun group over here in Wino land!!!! Happy Saturday!!!!!!!

Cheers!!! - Leah

Autumn here now,very wet rained for weeks now .The upside is its mushroom season. These guys are not native they came as vagrants with imported pine trees for our plantation timber.

Its still warm so the season might go to June. Lactarius deliciosus ,Saffron milk cap. 

These will be a pasta sauce for lunch,mushrooms,garlic,lemon juice ,white wine,parsley,shallot,chilli.

OK thats it I cooked a vegetarian meal
biggrin.gif

I didn't have any white wine so I subbed vermouth,gave it a bump with chicken stock.

I had a glass of Erin Eyes shiraz 2012 from Clare Valley . Really good match. 2012 will really show case wine making in this country,particularly reds. I can't wait to see what else is going to be released from that vintage.

Reactions: leah elisheva
Mick that's absolutely beautiful!!!

And happy autumn season to you! We alas have SPRING!!

That Erin Eyes wine does sound great!

I'm entering day 5 of not drinking my bottle of wine daily, (doing this until the 19th just to see what all you folks' weekly regimens are all about and yet still get back to my norm by that Easter weekend when family visits etc.), and I don't get the allure yet, haven't lost any weight from that cut yet either, but it must be healthier inside, and better for one, and so I'm giving it a try. Smiles.

But your mushrooms look incredible!!!!!

If that's a vegetarian meal, then you give vegetarian some real excitement! BRAVO!!!

Cheers!!! - Leah

GF  drinks champagne while gardening & reorganising the house. I abstain but had that glass with lunch.

Those mushrooms  are a great thing ,very seasonal & I love truly wild foraged food.

You guys deserve Spring, its fine here just wet.Nasty cyclone way up north thats all over the news.

Moikel, I'd think about become a vegetarian if my meals looked like that!  Delicious!

Okay, thought about becoming vegetarian long enough.  Back to my carnivorous nature.  Hickory wood is my favorite to smoke on beef.  My wife's favorite is mesquite.  For that reason I switch back and forth between the two for moo'ers.  Last night I hickory smoked a couple 3.5 lb tri tips on the Smokenator equipped Weber Kettle.  They came out looking and tasting wonderful.  My wife, a born Texan with mesquite sap in her veins, said the words I thought I'd never hear.  I was feeding her pre-meal bites of the tri tip while she was chopping sweet carrots.  She looked at me and said "I may be disowned by my West Texas homeland, but I think I like hickory better than mesquite!"  Almost brought a tear to my eye.

As you can see, I didn't take pics.  I really need to try and develop that habit of pic'ing my food.  I've been cooking so long it just doesn't cross my mind.

Wish I could send some of the sunny weather we're having out here back East and to Australia. Under my breath I'll whisper that we had to run the air conditioner the last two days.   But hey, it's the weekend and family is visiting!  Our daughter and her fiancé will be here in about 3 hours.  They always bring wine because his family is the one that belongs to the co-op winery.  No telling what they'll bring but it will be red.

I almost never buy commercial wine for that reason but I did pick up a bottle of inexpensive "Pacific Redwood Organic Red" table wine at Costco the other night.  Made in Mendocino County, the smoke capital of the West for another reason entirely.  The wine has no date, no sulfites, and is labeled much like the co-op winery.  I'll serve it with lunch today with the tri tip we'll be eating with flour tortillas, avocados, grilled green onions, and fresh salsa.  We also have some lavash and tzatziki that will be on the table too, another of our daughter's favorite with tri tips.

I'm also putting a couple of orange juice brined whole chickens on the WSM later today for dinner tonight.  We'll bust out a rare co-op Chardonnay for the poultry.

Leah, only 7 more days of your Lent sacrifice, 6 if you use Australian time!

Happy Weekend Everyone!

Ray 

Wow, everyone's wives here sound absolutely amazing!!! I wish we all could eat and drink together but the screen has provided fantastic fodder nonetheless!

Ray, your FOOD, and the wines, and the great company coming etc., sound just delightful!

And isn't Mick's dish incredible? This time of year is just delicious!

I like the way you think Ray, about "Australian time" and such!

While 6 hours sounds far better to me than 6/7 days; I'll give it at least to tomorrow anyway, and see what the moon, and the stars, and now ALAS the great SUN even, do bring! A tricky dance it is to go without wine. It's taught me how much I adore the habit, and yet also taught me that I "CAN" go without it, but just am not entirely sold that it's the better option.

Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, back to the porch and that vitamin D! I have a near year's supply to catch well up on!!! Smiles.

Happy Saturday to all!!!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

LOL.... I saw these and thought they were some regional bread at first, Then I read and noticed a couple a stems, I guess they could be considered almost a type of regional bread.  Nice 'shrooms, those are pretty buns ya got there....LOL
They are a good thing. We don't have all those boletus mushrooms here that Europe has.Its dried or frozen porcini,morels,chanterelles .We have another vagrant called a slippery jack which again is pine forest Boletus  luteus,good but not a porcini.

We know have a full blown truffle industry & ship them to Northern Hemisphere in their "off" season. Persistence paid off with people importing the inoculated trees at great expense from Europe. You can go for weekend farm stays at some of the truffle forests in season.

I love all that hunter gatherer stuff, not sure either of my dogs are retrainable as truffle hunters
biggrin.gif

Beautiful picture of your dog Mick!

And I'd love to train mine to truffle hunt! (Or teach them to pay the phone/internet bill even)?

Three of mine from the past (one of which is no longer here) learned to dine at the table years ago, and that was mighty interesting when company came around.

Dare I admit however, that I enjoyed my dogs as dinner companions MORE than certain guests!? (They have exceptional palates you see).

Cheers! - Leah

Hah ha ha!!!!!!! That's right Foamheart! They were awaiting salmon in that one, and found the need to 'start with tea' to be some kind of Draconian torture!

Happy Sunday!!! Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky