Cheddar Apple Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Trying this mix for 1st time, only making 5lbs.
20221121_182838.jpg

My wife is mixing again. 5lbs.
20221121_191314.jpg

I asked why balls?
Easier to put in ziplock for fridge.
Hmmm ok.

20221121_192829.jpg

Wife just got the apple stuffed and hanging.

20221123_091237.jpg

120* for 1hr 45 mins, no smoke,
20221123_091813.jpg

Hickory dust and some apple chunks. Smoke the 130* pid time.
20221123_092056.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
Waiting to hear what your thoughts are... Just something about the name of the seasoning that doesn't sound right... Cheddar and Apple ...
The mix has some apple chunks in it, I added cheddar dice to it.
I did taste the meat, taste good, not over appled.

Reactions: chopsaw
I bet they're good . A guy here makes honey pecan brats and an apple brat . The apple is better than the pecan .
doesn't sound right... Cheddar and Apple ...
I agree . My Dad and his side of the family used to put a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie . Not sure where that comes from . Never felt the need to try it myself .

Waiting to hear what your thoughts are... Just something about the name of the seasoning that doesn't sound right... Cheddar and Apple ...
I like a slice of apple with a slice of cheddar cheese on occasion. Would be interesting to see how this snack sounds,
Jim

Have not tried it. Caramel/Whipped Cream/Ice Cream would be more my style.

The story of apple pie and cheddar goes back centuries. In fact, you can find mentions of apple pies adorned with cheddar cheese dating back to 17th century England! There are several ideas for how this delicious, yet controversial, trend started. Back in the 1700s, it was quite common to top pies with a dairy-based custard. Naturally, other dairy products like cheese followed.

It’s also likely that the apples our ancestors had available weren’t quite as sweet as modern varieties, meaning that their apple pies may have skewed more towards savory. Once the apple pie and cheddar combo made its way to the U.S. with the first European settlers, it was here to stay. Today, the tradition remains alive—particularly in some regions of the U.S. like New England, the Midwest, and of course, Wisconsin.

I agree . My Dad and his side of the family used to put a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie . Not sure where that comes from . Never felt the need to try it myself .
LOL. I got that habit from my grandfather, who lived in Tillamook, Oregon. Tillamook is famous for their dairy industry and cheddar cheese factory, and everyone there did the same thing, so I just followed along. Still do.

Those cheddar apple sticks sound pretty good to me!

Reactions: chopsaw
Now that is a new one on me....cheddar cheese on apple pie. I wonder how that got started?
It's a New England thing that started in the 1800's especially in Vermont. Cheddar is better, but some folks use American.

Sticks look good Rick. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky