Checking in from Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buffalobob52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
I'm new to the forum, as of today. I was searching for info on smokers, the Brinkmann vertical charcoal to be exact, and found this site. I've been checking it out all day and I think I can keep myself busy for quite awhile with all the info.

I'm a carpenter/builder, specialized in high end custom kitchen installs for the last 18 yrs or so. Before that I did most everything else, built a few homes, decks,roofs remodels ect. Last year when things slowed up the company I subed for decided to give all the work to the younger and cheaper installers. I looked for work but not much was going on so I decided to have a few surgeries that I have been postponing.

Since Nov.of last year I have had both shoulder joints replaced and this Jan. I am having my right knee joint replaced. Antway, lucky for me my wife is a nurse and we have been able to weather this storm.

So I've been doing most of the cooking for the last year and have been trying, with limited success, to smoke in my propane BBQ. So I've decided to get a smoker. My dilema, should I build or buy. I'm looking at the Brinkmann vertical as a inexpensive start and then build a vertical out of a 55 gallon drum over the winter. Going to ask for the Brinkmann for Christmas.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I've already found a lot of info on the site.

I"m happily married 33 years, 3 children, 2 grandchildren and a boat.

Looking forward to participating on this forum.

Those vertical smokers are cheap and easy to use. A very good starting point. It is amazing the que that they turn out.

Please remember, its not so much the equipment that you use, but the tips and tricks, and knowledge, that you receive from your friends on this site. That is where successful smokes come from. You name it, its probably here!!!!

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Welcome Bob.
Sorry to hear about your recent issues, hope you are healing up quickly.

I think the Brinkmann vertical would be a great starting point then building your own UDS is a great idea.
Good luck, and welcome to the site!

Welcome from Wisconsin, I have yet to find a question that cant be answered bu the good folks here, and I have been here for a while.

First off welcome Bob to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for all your smoking information. Grab a seat and join in.

Welcome to the SMF, plenty of good advise from great folks. It might be easier to buy a smoker, just to get your feet wet. Most smokers will upgrade/swap out or otherwise end up with another smoker down the road. It's all good my friend.

THis is a great site, I have learned lots and enjoy the q-view. I am from the Sturgis, Mi. area.Brinkman is a good one to start with.What kind of boat?

BuffaloBob,
Welcome from Colorado! Sounds like all of your building experience will come in handy if you go that route.

BRRRRRRRR! This is what it looked like out my back door five minutes ago. It's not all snow...there are some tears from my smoker mixed in there!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky