Cheap high temp cheese makes Philly Stix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
St Louis
Philly Cheese.jpg

Tried something different, used a brat recipe, the Owens Philly Cheese Steak one, to make stix. Did a 5 pound batch, carefully weighing out the mix from the 25 pound batch pack. Added teaspoon equivalent of cure #1, and I think most importantly, added 20 ounces of pepper jack high temp cheese. A 50/50 venison pork mix with sheep casings. The price of high temp cheese always caused me pain, but since I now have a butcher who will sell it at $5 a pound I'm feel more generous using it, and glad I increased it from a pound to 20 ounces on this one. 4 hours of smoke from AMNPS using hickory. Next time I might go 5 hours since this is a mild recipe and the extra smoke won't clash with other flavors.

This is a pretty mild mix even with the pepper jack. Have been experimenting to find a range of good stix recipes, from sweet to neutral to hotter. This mix is good with the cheese, but really needs to get to room temp before eating. That's true of most sausage I guess but I emphasize to folks to let the sausage warm up to room temp to get the full flavor.

That is some fantastic looking sausage!
It looks delicious!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Oh man... I want a bite of that so bad!
I know what you mean about the cost of high temp cheese. I just cant bring myself to do it.

Looks good! How's the taste? Did you smoke them to a certain IT? Or just smoke em for 4 hours. We have the same seasoning kit from Owens, we need to make brats here soon with em

Last edited:
Where did you find the recipe or the Owens Philly Cheese Steak one? I can't seem to find anything on it? Nevermind, I think I found it.

Taste is very good if you like a mild stick. The cheese really adds a lot. I went with four hours as a guess on how much smoke. I have folks who don’t like a lot of smoke so this was a compromise. Next time I’ll do 5. IT at that point was around 130 so I finished in the oven using convection bake at 165-170. Doesnt take too long to finish them off with that even oven heat.

Reactions: driedstick
Looks great I was going to do the same thing but without the cheese,,, I may have to try some cheese in it

POINT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky