Chaurice making with Q-View.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
Heres' the recipe I used.

Same place I got the andouille from.

Chaurice Sausage Recipe

3 lbs Pork with plenty of fat (I use Boston Butt) Cut into 1 inch cubes
1 Medium Spanish Onion, Chopped
3 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, Minced
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, Chopped
4 Tbsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
4 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Ground Allspice
1 pinch Meat Curing Salt (Optional) (Here is what I use: http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_curing_dq.htm)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss thoroughly.
Cover and let stand in the refrigerator overnight (this step is optional).
Place all of your grinding equipment in the refrigerator 1 hour before grinding. Using the 1/2″ die for your meat grinder, grind all of the ingredients. Alternatively you could finely mince the ingredients in a food processor or by hand. Cook a small patty to taste for seasonings, reseason if necessary. Follow my instructions for Linking Homemade Sausage. I make my Chaurice into about 10 inch lengths. When finished, I vacuum seal the links into individual portions and freeze. They will keep indefinitely in the freezer.

He says he smokes his occaisionally...I knew I was gonna smoke it.

I had 3 butts for about 9 lbs. Decided to make it easy and do 6 lbs of chaurice and the rest into breakfast sausage.

7d36f351_Chaurice001.jpg

I tried to butterfly the butts...not good but was good practice.

Cut 6 lbs into 1 inch chunks mixed the spices,pink salt  and into the fridge for 24 hours.

Ground what was left into breakfast sausage with Pops recipe.

f27a21d7_Chaurice002.jpg

67baee8f_Chaurice003.jpg

be5809e1_Chaurice004.jpg

Next day ground it up and stuffed it. Then into the MES at 100 for a hour to dry, then Pecan in the AMAZAN,raising the temp

a little at a time.5 hours later it's looking good.

Made a patty to test.

54f12e0c_Chaurice005.jpg

Learned a lot. Will use a larger tube next time.

1af831c7_Chaurice008.jpg

e8c5aa4f_Chaurice010.jpg

Into the cold water bath then back into the fridge.

The Woman says it's too spicy for her. Spoil sport.

Guess I'll just have to eat it all by myself.

Last edited:
I like that recipe and the sausage looks great! Thanks for sharing

Dan

Gonna have to try that one. I bought some at the store once and it was very greasy and grainy. not too tasty. prehaps some homemade is the ticket. Looks great!

Thanks fellas. I had a good time making this.

Looks good.... nice work. they'll be gone fast

That looks awesome. I really like that recipe too. I just got the attachment for my kitchenaid. I have only used it once for grinding steaks for hamburgers. Seemed to work fine.

I have been wanting to make some Chaurice for a while. Someone I work with said that it was a great breakfast sausage. I finished my final yesterday, once my stuffer comes in from Cabela’s I think I may have to give it a try……I heard they were really good...... and I thing this recipe makes them sound even better......SB

Great job..How does that mixer do for grinding your meat?
Works great. Of course this is my first grinder...hahahaha. I have ground meat 5 times and no troubles so far.

That looks and sounds delicious! What is the recipe source?

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/09/22/chaurice-sausage-recipe/  

I have been wanting to make some Chaurice for a while. Someone I work with said that it was a great breakfast sausage. I finished my final yesterday, once my stuffer comes in from Cabela’s I think I may have to give it a try……I heard they were really good...... and I thing this recipe makes them sound even better......SB

Chaurice is usually a fresh sausage. I love it smoked..used pecan dust.

Last edited:
They look gorgeous. Chaurice? Is this like Chorizo? Sounds spicy! Mmmm.. They look WONDERFUL!! Are they considered fully cooked then?

I've always thought of myself as a bit of a sausage enthusiast, but this is new to me!!

They look gorgeous. Chaurice? Is this like Chorizo? Sounds spicy! Mmmm.. They look WONDERFUL!! Are they considered fully cooked then?

I've always thought of myself as a bit of a sausage enthusiast, but this is new to me!!
It is similar to Chorzo. Very spicy ,,oh yeah. Yes, fully cooked, they got up to 155 in the smoker.

I like Cajun, Creole food.   Got the andouille recipe from the same place. I also love Chuck Taggarts  Gumbo Pages. His Red beans and rice recipe is absolutely the best.

I use a different recipe for jambalaya tho.  Here's Chucks addy.

http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html  

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

The recipe looks good and I bet it will turn out some good sausage too. I might just have to give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky