Chargriller Smokin Pro WITH MODs still having temp issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newman820

Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Branford CT
Ok I've got my char-griller and I've filled the holes, lined the top of the chimmney with caulk so that it doesn't leak (not the part you can open and close just the bottom where it connects to the lid), I have a basket for char coal (used a veggie basket for a grill $7), I turned over the charcoal pan (on inside of "grill") to make a baffle.  Smoker still doesn't hold temp very well over time.  I think once I was able to sit and relax while the temp held at like 235 for maybe 10 minutes TOPS.  I find that I am constantly adjusting the intake to make sure it doesn't get too hot or get too cold.  Minion method in effect here.

Help!!!

Do I need to line my lid with something? Smoke is escaping from where the lid and the grate meet...  What can I use to seal it?

Do I need a bigger charcoal basket?

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

The best charcoal basket I have seen for those if you are just purchasing one is the shaker basket (sold at Lowes), it is fairly deep and holds a decent amount of unlit charcoal. Also if you have not extended the stack down to grate level inside of the smoker do that as well, it really helps.

What is your fire set up, and lighting procedure like? Give us as much step by step info as you can think of, so we will have a better idea of what your standard procedure is.... also some pictures if you got em.

Johnny

For lighting procedure:

1. Fill charcoal chimney with charcoal

2. light with 2 or three sheets of newspaper underneath

3. allow coals to grey over and get glowing orange (45 mins to hour 15mins)

4. I put some unlit charcoal in the basket then dump my lit chimney into the basket

5. I allow the main chamber and firebox to be open for about 2 minutes then close them and keep the smoke stack open all the way and the firebox damper open all the way.

5.5. I've got a water pan under the grates on my "baffle" nearest to the firebox.

6. I monitor the temp with a digital probe through a sweet potato at grate level and once it's up to temp (sometimes 45min to an hour+) I open it up and put my goodies on the grates.

7. I plop myself near the firebox so that I can tap the damper closed as it gets too high and open as it gets too low.  I find that I can get it all the way up to 250 but the temp fluctuates pretty easily.  It can come up from 215 to 240 in less than a minute or so then can drop way down in 30 seconds if I'm not watching it.  It just wont hold at an appropriate temp.  Also temps are tremendously different on both sides of the main chamber anything I can do that I'm not already doing to maybe help that??

Thanks for your help everyone!!  I know this has been on here about 8 million times but its different for everyone I suppose.

Here are some photos

d8a28aaf_IMG_1834.jpg
1619670f_IMG_1835.jpg
977ea1c6_IMG_1836.jpg
4d654fba_IMG_1837.jpg
0a45e85b_IMG_1838.jpg

myself... I don't like the idea of turning the charcoal grate upside down... to me it seems that the majority of the heat is gonna travel down to the other end of the smoker underneath the grate... when the heat comes out from the the other end it seems like it's gonna go straight out the exhaust (which is at the end of the grate where the heat comes out)... just my thoughts...

I will try my next time around without the grate in there period and see what happens.  Thanks Jck.  What do you think about fire bricks in the main chamber to retain heat?

For lighting procedure:

1. Fill charcoal chimney with charcoal

2. light with 2 or three sheets of newspaper underneath

3. allow coals to grey over and get glowing orange (45 mins to hour 15mins)

4. I put some unlit charcoal in the basket then dump my lit chimney into the basket

5. I allow the main chamber and firebox to be open for about 2 minutes then close them and keep the smoke stack open all the way and the firebox damper open all the way.

5.5. I've got a water pan under the grates on my "baffle" nearest to the firebox.

6. I monitor the temp with a digital probe through a sweet potato at grate level and once it's up to temp (sometimes 45min to an hour+) I open it up and put my goodies on the grates.

7. I plop myself near the firebox so that I can tap the damper closed as it gets too high and open as it gets too low.  I find that I can get it all the way up to 250 but the temp fluctuates pretty easily.  It can come up from 215 to 240 in less than a minute or so then can drop way down in 30 seconds if I'm not watching it.  It just wont hold at an appropriate temp.  Also temps are tremendously different on both sides of the main chamber anything I can do that I'm not already doing to maybe help that??

Thanks for your help everyone!!  I know this has been on here about 8 million times but its different for everyone I suppose.
 Quote:
I will try my next time around without the grate in there period and see what happens.  Thanks Jck.  What do you think about fire bricks in the main chamber to retain heat?
 IMHO you do not need fire bricks, they will do nothing for you. I see you just turned the cook chamber charcoal grate upside down, it needs to be elevated to allow proper airflow in the cooking chamber. Take the two cast iron grill grates that came with the firebox and place them in the cooking chamber to raise the inverted chacoal grate, this will take care of the airflow problem and you should see temps in the cooking chamber rise to the level you want them to be in 10 minutes or so.

You can buy wood stove door gasket to seal the lid on the cooking chamber.

One thing that bothers me is about the CG mods is the recommendation to extend the chimney down to grate level, professional pit builders do not do this, they keep the exhaust above the cooking grate. IMHO you should extend it to about 4" above the cooking grate for better airflow.

It has been my experience that a water pan is unnecessecary in the Chargriller, it sucks up heat energy for little or no return. I find that when cooking on the CG I have no problem keeping the meat from drying out, it is especially good in keeping chicken very juicy.

The problem you are having with holding "appropriate" cooking temp is partly because you have a CG and partly because of what you have read on the forums. The CG is an offset and as such tends to need more babysitting than other types of cookers, like the WSM or a UDS. IMHO this is part of the fun of BBQ. Despite what you read about the magic number of 225°, "low and slow"

encompasses a range of temps that end somewhere north of 300°. Some meats benefit from lower temps, some from higher. I find with the CG(using charcoal) that if I set an upper limit of say 280° and close the air intake the temps will settle back to between 240°-255° and stay in that range. This procedure is repeated everytime you add charcoal.

I use the different temps across the grate to my advantage, ribs on the far end , chicken in the middle and sausage or wings nearest the firebox to cook quickly.

Lastly, you do not mention whether you are using lump charcoal or briquettes, briquettes will cause too much ash build up and restrict airflow making it difficult to keep your temps up, always use lump charcoal.

i think u guys go a lil over board with the mods.. when i had one of those smokers all i did was make a charcoal basket and add new therms.. could keep it smoking between 200-250 for 6 hours no worries and a decent day.. if it was windy or really cold maybe 2 or 3 hrs... keep the mods simple.. sometimes doing something to it may no actually help but may hurt it.. like the upside charcoal grate..

I like the idea of using grates from firebox to help raise the grate in the main chamber.  problem is those are rusted now because I just never thought I would use them again and I left them outside...any ideas on rust removal??  I'll have to try both with and without grates and see the results.  I have been using trader joe's briquettes but they aren't too bad with the ash, I will find some lump to try as well.

When I got it I had to order a new hood because it was all dented and one of the welded seals was popped.  I have a feeling that when it's closed the top and bottom don't line up just so because smoke sometimes comes out from around where top and bottom meet so wood stove gasket has been on my list but I didn't think it was THAT bad...

Made the switch to lump took out my "baffle" completely and had much more success!

I will try next time with the charcoal grate elevated and see if there is a difference.  I think I will still need to get some wood stove sealer because smoke is coming from around the whole body even when I have a nice little stream from the smoke stack.

Thanks all for the help.  Case almost closed!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky