• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chargriller pellet grill temp probe

nated

Joined Jul 12, 2011
I have a chargriller pellet smoker and was wondering how to clean the temperature probe that the controller uses to know what the temp is. The last 2 times I've used my pellet grill the temps have stalled at 190 on the digital controller the first time then the next cook I wiped the probe off with just a paper towel and the temps wouldn't go over 315 when set to 350 on the controller. Is this a controller issue or is the internal probe just really dirty? I've had this grill for sometime and use it probably 3-4 time a week but have never cleaned the probe. Thanks if you can help.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
Isn't the probe for meat temp? If so, it should have no affect on the set temp of the pit, and I may be a controler issue.

If your talking about the temp sensor, I've never cleaned mine on my GMG, but I did have one of bad and had to swapp it out.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
You could clean it with alcohol, but it sounds to me like you have a bad controller.

Al

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
I'd try alcohol like Al suggested. If that doesn't help i'd swap out the sensor first as there less expensive then the controller.

nated

Joined Jul 12, 2011
You could clean it with alcohol, but it sounds to me like you have a bad controller.

Al
Thanks Al I cleaned the sensor with Alcohol and the temps were again reading normal on the controller. Temp at the grate was 20 degrees higher than what the controller was reading but it's been like that since I've had this grill. With it being 20°F outside with a brisk wind today I'm happy. Thanks again Al.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.