Chargriller 5050 with offset smoker- Chunks/split logs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Marcus33

Original poster
Jul 11, 2018
Hi, New to the forum and pretty new to smoking.

I picked up a Chargriller 5050 with side firebox.

I know its pretty light duty, and have heard the side fire box can be damaged easily from over heating. (paint flaking etc)

I'm wondering if this unit can handle small split logs as a main heat/smoke source, or would chunks be a better alternative? With chunks, do you need to keep adding charcoal for heat? I don't want to damage it, but would like best results, I'm looking for good smoke, which from what i read, i want to stay away from wet small chips.
Any input would be appreciated!

Assuming you are using this type
maxresdefault.jpg

Yes this can handle both

Q: With chunks, do you need to keep adding charcoal for heat?
A: Yes you will

S: I don't want to damage it, but would like best results, I'm looking for good smoke, which from what i read, i want to stay away from wet small chips.
C: it will get damaged no matter what you put in there after a period of time. all offset boxes will need repainting sooner than later.
C: The best smoke in my opinion is to use splits
C: Do not use chips in this type of smoker. you would have to use way to many because the flow of air is high. chips are used for smokers that have low airflow.

That unit is made to use charcoal as the heat source & wood chunks as the smoke source.
As said above the firebox will get rusty because the metal is thin & will get very hot.
It will burn the paint off & it will rust.
I think I would just keep a coating of Pam on it.
Don't think that will solve the problem, but it will help protect the metal.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky